From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library icon and VI Icon

A few questions and concerns about VI icons in library and regular library editor. I am using LabVIEW 2011, may be some of these are fixed.

1) Library icon is not applied when VI (control) is moved into library. I need to go into library settings and manually apply icon to VIs.

2) Library icon changes alignment of the VI text (in the icon text section, not text tool). Exceptions: library icon can be text only or has full frame.

Alexander_Sobolev_1-1586207983558.png Standard library icon (narrow yellow rect), VI icon: frame and  "LINE 4" on the 4-th line. Line 4 has shifted, line 3 would be too high.

Alexander_Sobolev_2-1586208167571.png Library icon: LIB TXT with or without frame. VI icon: frame and  "LINE 4" on the 4-th line. Lines are where they should be.

3) After update library icon goes on top (even if it existed and was on the bottom layer), frame covers everything. Need to manually open all VIs and move it to the bottom layer.

4) After update library icon (with frame) hides VI icon text. You need to open VI icon and press OK (do nothing with icon itself) to redraw it and make the text reappear.

What is fixed in the last LabVIEW? Does it make sense to update?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,135 Views)

Part of the problem is in how the Icon Editor handles Templates (I'm basing this on my own experience -- I've found other issues that I've tried to get addressed, but haven't yet succeeded in "arousing interest").

It appears (to me) that when a Template has multiple horizontal lines on it (so a Rectangular Box with two lines at top and bottom, or a Library template with a "header" on top with two lines and a "bottom" line, for 3 lines), the algorithm for putting the four lines of text tries to fit them between the bottom two lines.  It does make sense for it to keep it out of the (generally smaller) "top" Region, but now you are trying to cram 4 lines into space made for 3.  There may also be some problem with vertical spacing.

At one point, the source of the Icon Editor was available (and, for all I know, it still might be).  I decided I didn't want to spend my time working on what should be "well-documented, well-understood" code from the LabVIEW Development Team, hoping I could interest them in a fix.  I'm currently using a "BS Workaround" ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,075 Views)

The best solution is to develop a disdain for putting text in an icon.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,069 Views)