From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview runtime engine compatibility

Solved!
Go to solution

Our company is upgrading all our computers to Windows 10, and I have various compiled VIs programmed with Labview versions 7.1, 8.6, 2011 and 2012.  I currently have 2017, which I used to upgrade a program from 2012.  This program ran fine on Windows 10 using 2017 runtime engines, of course.  Will I need to upgrade any VIs older than 2015?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,372 Views)

Radcal

I believe so, suspect runtime runs similar compatibility to LabVIEW IDE - https://www.ni.com/en-gb/support/documentation/compatibility/17/labview-and-microsoft-windows-compat...

It **MAY**  work but not natively supported.. guess it depents on any other dependent run times too.. (see https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000004B26SAE&l=en-GB )

Could be wrong - maybe try testing the EXE's on a WIN10 VM with Runtimes installed before you commit to upgrading?

Regards

Jono

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,325 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author radcal

Yes and no. The older ones are not officially supported, but i've made and run many LV2011 programs without any problems in WinX. As for the 7 and 8 version ones i'd recommend upgrading, and if you do, you might as well upgrade the 2011 ones also. 🙂

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,320 Views)

It depends what your application does. Pure LabVIEW executables are pretty much working on every Windows version, I have 7.1 executables and even LabVIEW 7.1 running on Windows 10 without real problems. However if you call things like DAQmx, and many other drivers which involve system drivers you may be not able to get this working. Basically DAQmx 8.0 would be almost impossible to get running on a modern OS and LabVIEW 7.1 would be pretty hard to make it work with a DAQmx 2020 installation. So there might be serious trouble. If you only use built in LabVIEW nodes without any drivers for your application, it should be possible although the installation can be a bit of a hassle.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 7
(4,312 Views)

As I figured I will need to try each executable individually on WIN 10, and upgrade as needed.   I use a LabJack U3 device to interface in a couple of my test fixtures, and I know it's application that I installed on WIN 10 worked running LabView runtime engine 7.1.  Although in another case I interfaced with a NI USB-6009 and had to upgrade from 2012 to 2017 in order for to run on WIN 10.

Thanks all for your replies. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,289 Views)

May I ask how do you installed the LV 7.1.1 RTE on a Win 10 PC? At my side it stucks at the very beginning on several Win 10 PC's - also in compatibility mode.

I'm aware that LV does not support LV 7 on Win10 but when it could work I would be glad.

Cheers,

Jonas

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,830 Views)

You could use virtual machine with older windows version if all else fails.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,824 Views)