LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview for SPS

Hello,

in our company we use Labview to define the operation of plants for different customers. Now a customer wants to operate a plant which should be build from our company with a Siemens SPS. The plants of the customers of our company are usally very similar.

Is it possible to use the defined Labview project in an easy way for operation with a Siemens SPS?

We saw there is a possibility to use C/C++ with a Siemens SPS. Would it be a solution to migrate the Labview project to C/C++? If yes how?

Best regards,

CB1000

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,119 Views)

I have not heard of a Siemens SPS before.

I can tell you, there really is no way you'd want to try to "migrate" LabVIEW to C/C++.  Though it is possible to build LabVIEW VI's into .dll's that can be called by other languages.

Is SPS a software program by Siemens?  What does it do?  What interface does it have that you can communicate with it?  There are a number of ways LabVIEW can talk to other software via TCP/IP or other communication protocols.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,116 Views)

Hi,

the English term for SPS is PLC, and Siemens sells a lot of them...

You cannot convert your LabVIEW project into a PLC program (to put it in simple words). There are toolkits available to communicate with a Siemens PLC from LabVIEW, but this probably isn't what you want to do?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,072 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

the English term for SPS is PLC, and Siemens sells a lot of them...

Well that explains a lot.  I searched for "Siemens SPS" and just found a conference.

Yeah, PLCs are all there own thing, using Ladder Logic.  But I have communicated with PLCs using EthernetIP (NI has a good toolkit for this) and simple DIO (usually "Part Good" and/or "Part Bad" lines).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,035 Views)

PLC's I know.  "SPS"  I've never heard that abbreviation before.

I'm using Modbus TCP/IP to communicate with PLC's.  And they are using ladder logic for their internal programming.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,024 Views)

Hi,

SPS is German for "Speicher-Programmierbare Steuerung" (here)...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,016 Views)