LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview executable installer disable creation of simulated device

I'm currently working with USB-6002 and I packaged my labview program into a exe installer, and installed it on a client's pc with a new USB-6002. I realized that sometimes it would not connect due to the program connecting to the simulated device.

When I open up NI Max it would show 2 devices, one being the hardware device, another being the simulated one. I would then have to manually delete the simulated one myself.

Two Questions:

1) Is there an option in the build specifications to prevent the installer/driver from automatically creating a simulated device? I already disabled "include hardware config from MAX" option.

I've also added some basic checks using "DevIsSimulated", but would much rather not having to deal with it in the future.

2) Are there other ways to rename devices like device manager instead of having to install NI Max / "NI-DAQmx Runtime with Configuration Support" package?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(850 Views)

does anyone know?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(763 Views)

Hi.

Why you are simulated the USB device, since you have it in physically?
You cane change device name in a Settings filed in Ni MAX

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(724 Views)

Hi diluc,

@diluc99 wrote:

installed it on a client's pc with a new USB-6002.

I've also added some basic checks using "DevIsSimulated", but would much rather not having to deal with it in the future.

So you sell your software with a dedicated hardware to your customer!?

Why don't you check the serial number of the USB6002 DAQ to verify the software uses the correct device?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(719 Views)

Hi diluc

I often use the Is simulated switch in Dev mode to allow me to determine what is real and not. By detecting all devices of a type and ruleing out the simulated ones, if you only have one left on the PC, that is your device and you can auto assign the MAX id.
If you use a specific device SN and the device breaks then it's not hot swapable for a replacement.
by using this technique you also set youself up for easier development when the device enumerates differently on different PCs.

You can take it a step further using loop backs on DIO to give specific H/W an ID to verify that it is indeed the expected device and detect 2 or mode different devices and know which is used for controlling what!

Regards

James

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(714 Views)