From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview executable generates "file is not compatible with the version of Windows" error

Solved!
Go to solution

I have built an executable using labview 2017 32-bit.  The .exe runs file on my development system.  I've installed the runtime engine for 2017 32 bit on my target machine,  but when I try to run the executable on the target machine I get an error that says:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the the version of the Windows you're running.  Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the ptrogram, and then contact the software publisher."

Development Machine is Intel i7 core CPU, 64-bit Operating system.  Running Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1

Target Machine is Intel i7 core CPU, 64-bit Operating system.  Also running Windows 7 professional,  Service Pack 1

I tried building a very simple VI that added two numbers together and displayed the result and built a .exe out of that and it does the same thing so I don't think it has anything to do with drivers or anything exotic.  I have also confirmed that the 32 bit runtime is installed on the target.

I'm probably just doing something wrong but I have no idea what it is - any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,259 Views)

On the advanced page of the installer builder, there is an entry for "system requirements". Could it be you accidentally specified "Windows 8 or later" there?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,255 Views)

I checked it and it says Windows 7 SP1 or later,  which I expect is correct.

Follow on question - Does the executable have to have an installer?   I've just been running (or attempting to run) the executable on the target machine,  I thought if I installed the required components (runtime environment and drivers etc. ) that would be okay.  Is this wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,181 Views)

One more piece of information:

We have a company volume license and someone from IT helped me get 2017 setup  (and it seems to work fine),  but I notice that when I launch it it says "Unregistered" on the splash screen.  Is it possible it thinks I don't have a license for the application builder?  This seems unlikely as the .exe runs on my development system.  Thought I would mention it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,179 Views)

unregistered is not the same as unactivated and if can build an executable, things are fine.

Which exact runtime engine did you install?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,167 Views)

This is what shows in NI Max under software on target machine.

Labview Runtime 2017 f2  17.0.0

I'm inclined to believe that the issue is related to the development machine in that I also tried to run the executable on another machine and got exactly the same error.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,163 Views)

One additional piece of information.  At one time I had the 64 bit 2017 installed on my development machine.  Is it possible that some artifact of that is causing the executable to behave this way?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,157 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jjgilham

I finally figured out what the problem was.  My development machine had a disk encryption program  (Symantec End Point Protection) that was installed furtively by out IT department.    This program encrypts all files on the local hard drive.   When those files were copied to the target machine they would still be encrypted.   I don't understand the Symantec End Point logic here but I suppose they probably have some method to export the files to another machine.   In any case,  I got IT to remove the encryption program and unencrypt my drive and then everything worked as expected.

Message 8 of 9
(4,109 Views)

Thanks for the update and solution. I will bookmark it as ammunition just in case our IT department ever gets one of these ideas. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,104 Views)