From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview display problem

Hello,

The Labview display went crazy one day. When I scroll the vertical scroll bar of the front panel, only the left part (about 3/4 of the width of the screen) of the front panel goes up or down as it should, while the right part (about 1/4 of the width of the screen) freezes. Also, the problem persists when I was running my VI. But there is no problem with the block diagram window.

Is this a bug of Labview? Or could it be caused by my application/code? How could I get rid of it?

Thanks a lot,

TK Lui
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,033 Views)

I remember reading about others having this problem.  Do a search on the Labview forums on "Labview tearing".  Here are the two links I found:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=200310#M200310

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=250861#M250861

Which version of Labview are you using?  I don't know if the cause of the problem has been discovered, but the threads seem to provide some tips for how to fix the problem.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,011 Views)
Thanks a lot for your reply. Reading those posts does help a lot.

But copying the front panel/bloack diagram to a new VI won't work out for me because both the front panel and the block diagrams are extremely complicated. I could manage to live with it.

NI please fixes this problem ASAP. Tabbed-browsing is too important for a user-friendly GUI to lose. I'm attaching my VI for your reference.

TK Lui

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,980 Views)
Just to add some more details.

System: Windows XP Pro with SP2 and lastest updates
Display card: updated with the latest driver already
Labview version: 8.2.1

TK Lui
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,977 Views)

Hi tklui,

The issue has been resolved in LabView version 8.5.  I am sorry that you encountered this issue, it was definitely a major issue for us, but I am happy to say that it has been fixed in LabView 8.5.  You've said that your code is too large, but if you press control-A, the entirety of your code will be selected, and now you can press control-C to copy your code to the cache.  Then you can create a new VI, and press control-V to paste the code in its entirety easily.  So you dont have to drag the rectangular selection tool to choose your entire code. 

So far as I've noticed, the best, and perhaps the only good workaround is to do this.  I'm sorry that this is not in line with our usual policy of having a healthier workaround, but in this case, this was the quickest workaround for most users.

Let me know if this works for you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,974 Views)
Pressing Ctrl+A (to select all the codes) and then pasting it on a new VI does copy all the codes but I lose all my controls and tabs and buttons on the front panel. They simply disappear and I can't find them even with the "Find Control" option.

Are there any other workarounds?

Thanks for your help.

TK Lui
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,967 Views)
You can also do the same method for your front panel, and all of the controls and indicators should be linked correctly.  I've tested this myself (although I have not been able to run your code since I'm missing  a lot of custom controls and subVIs).
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,963 Views)

I also forgot to mention, you should add the new VI to your lvproj file right before you paste the block diagram.  This can carry over those controls seemlessly. 

Let me know if that helps!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,955 Views)
Thanks Tolga. But it didn't work for me. But let me describe what I did and see if it's what you meant.

I didn't manage the VIs as a project. So, I opened a new project and add the folder that contains all the VIs (call this folder the root folder). I then saved this project in the root folder. To copy the front panel/codes, I went to Project > Add File to add a new VI to the project. I saved the project by choosing Save All. Then I did Edit > Select All and Edit > Copy to select all the front panel objects/all codes and copy them to the clipboard. After that, I went to the new VI and did Edit > Paste to paste the controls/codes to the new VI.

The situation stayed the same: when I copy the front panel objects, I lose the codes; and when I copy the codes, I lose all the controls on the front panel.

This time I'm attaching all the codes so that you (or perhaps someone else) could try to run it and troubleshoot it.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/tlui/www/VIs%20for%20PBSDDS%20III.zip

Thank you very much for your time!

TK Lui
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,902 Views)

Hi tklui,

I have downloaded your project, and opened up Gui Core.vi.  I selected all, and copied to clipboard.  Then I right clicked on the folder named "Test VIs" and went to New VI.  The new VI appeared in the Test VIs folder as Untitled 1.vi.  Then I went to the block diagram of this VI, and pasted my code.  Due to the large amount of code, it took about 5 seconds for the front panel objects to appear as well.  After the paste, both the front panel and the block diagram looked the same as your original VI.  Then I deleted your original Gui Core.vi and renamed the untitled VI as this.

Do the same thing and let me know if this still happens.  If you'd like I can email you my version as well.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,892 Views)