LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview community edition

Hi,

Can I use Labview community edition for explaining my home projects and posting the videos on youtube?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,696 Views)

Disclaimer:I am not a lawyer, so I am not able to give legal advice.

But to answer your question: YES!

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,670 Views)

@kannanagendra wrote:

Hi,

Can I use Labview community edition for explaining my home projects and posting the videos on youtube?

This is exactly the kind of stuff that NI is hoping for with LV Community Edition!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,662 Views)

@billko wrote:

@kannanagendra wrote:

Hi,

This is exactly the kind of stuff that NI is hoping for with LV Community Edition!

One caveat I need to make, since this did come up in a private board.  If your primary source of income is your Youtube channel (ie you highly depend on the ad revenue from your content), you are technically doing commercial work.  But for the layman who just puts up random non-monetized videos, you are encouraged to get the information out there.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,644 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@billko wrote:

@kannanagendra wrote:

Hi,

One caveat I need to make, since this did come up in a private board.  If your primary source of income is your Youtube channel (ie you highly depend on the ad revenue from your content), you are technically doing commercial work.  But for the layman who just puts up random non-monetized videos, you are encouraged to get the information out there.

Thank you for making this distinction.  Naive me completely overlooked the fact that people can make money off of YouTube.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,640 Views)

So in case I using LabView community edition for my youtube channel it is prohibited? Since I pay by YouTube for now. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,155 Views)

Hi everyone. 

Can I use Labview Community Edition to make a tutorial video in my YouTube channel? Since my channel already monetized for now.

I have read LabVIEW Community Edition Usage Details. But it is not clear. I want to contact them but no idea how to do it. So I decided to ask here. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,156 Views)

@FirzaUbb12 wrote:

So in case I using LabView community edition for my youtube channel it is prohibited? Since I pay by YouTube for now. 

Your legally skating on thin ice here. NI also doesn’t allow use of the Community Edition in classrooms since teaching students is the primary business of a school. So ifs use would be for the primary business purpose of the school and that’s commercial.

So my take on this would be: if your youtobe channel provides a substantial part of your income then your use of the Community Edition would be against the license agreement that you agreed to. If if’s more like petty cash in addition to a regular job that provides your main income you are likely safe. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,127 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

@FirzaUbb12 wrote:

Your legally skating on thin ice here. NI also doesn’t allow use of the Community Edition in classrooms since teaching students is the primary business of a school. So ifs use would be for the primary business purpose of the school and that’s commercial.

So my take on this would be: if your youtobe channel provides a substantial part of your income then your use of the Community Edition would be against the license agreement that you agreed to. If if’s more like petty cash in addition to a regular job that provides your main income you are likely safe. 

I feel the need to add the disclaimer that rolfk's speculations are not to be considered legal advice!  Check with NI for their official stance on this.  (I've found that NI salesmen are pretty good at redirecting you where you need to go.  Try giving them a call.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,114 Views)

@billko wrote:

I feel the need to add the disclaimer that rolfk's speculations are not to be considered legal advice! 

Absolutely! Otherwise I would have to send a hefty invoice and would have put at the end that this is my personal legal view of the matter, but that the question needs to be put in front of some legal person from NI, who will likely word it more vaguely. 😁

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,110 Views)