From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview can't detect PXIe6361

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a PXIe System remotely connected to my computer, and everything on that PXI Chassis can be properly detected except the PXIe6361 card. I've properly installed NI-DAQmx and all the related software. Pls advise what can I do to detect that particular card. The PXIe System is on Labview RT

11.JPG12.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,229 Views)

Hi,

Ensure that you have DAQmx installed on your RT target as well, see link below:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000PA1eSAG

Regards,
Jimmie Adolph
Systems Engineering Manager, National Instruments Northern European Region

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,206 Views)

11.JPG

I made sure that my host computer has installed the exact same version software as does the PXIe system. Host computer and PXIe are connected via ethernet. HEre is what I can see on the host computer.

However this is what's available on the PXIe System:

13.JPG

Not only can't I detect the PXIe 6361 card, the layout of host computer and PXIe system are different as well. Can anyone tell me how to let my host computer see the PXIe 6361 card and also why are these two different? I've installed the exact same software on both of them. THanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,220 Views)

This is the fourth post you've made to the Forums with the same question.  The problem seems to have arisen when LabVIEW software was upgraded somewhere (I don't remember, probably on the PC), possibly taking the PC and the PXI Controller "out of sync" with each other.  The post before this one had a specific recommendation, that you show us the expanded Software Tab for the PXI Remote System (you've shown here what I presume is the expanded Devices and Interfaces tab, but not the Software Tab).

I will repeat the recommendation from your previous Post (yesterday) -- show us the Software that is installed on the Remote PXI Controller.  Without data about your system, we can only "guess" that "something is wrong" -- with the data, we can probably tell you what is wrong and how to fix it.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,195 Views)

Device Detected on Host ComputerDevice Detected on Host ComputerRTOSRTOSSoftware on HostSoftware on HostSoftware on PXISoftware on PXIDevice Detected on PXIDevice Detected on PXI

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,187 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BaiLiping

And there's the Problem clearly demonstrated!  I don't know what version of LabVIEW you are running on the PC side, but I'm guessing it is LabVIEW 2015 (based on the fact that the CVI software was all LabVIEW 2015, most of the Device Drivers on the PC seemed to be 2015, the PXI Platform Services were 2015, etc.).  The PXI, however, identifies itself with "Welcome to LabVIEW Real-Time 13.0.1", starts NI-RIO Server 14.0.1, and NI-VISA Server 14.0.  My experience with LabVIEW RT on a PXI system (RIOs might be different, but I doubt it) is that it is critical that there be the same Version of LabVIEW and all of its Modules and Toolkits on the Host and Remote systems.

I have no idea about the "history" of the LabVIEW installations on your PC.  I do worry when I see multiple versions of LabVIEW software on a PC -- if the Developer knows what he or she is doing, you can safely have multiple systems, but I'm not sure (and would be surprised) if you can have multiple versions of LabVIEW RT on a PC.

If this were my machine, or one of my colleagues brought this to me, I'd ask "What single Version of LabVIEW do you want to run?"  Suppose the answer is "LabVIEW 2015" (it could be any version, but I'd urge not going back too far into the past).  Here are the steps I would take:

1. If you have installed LabVIEW 2017 or 2018, do not proceed without calling NI.  The new NI Program Manager makes the next steps trickier (I know, I've done it, but not without talking to NI first).  If this is the case, do reply before undertaking the next steps!
  2. Uninstall all NI Software.  Get rid of all the previous versions of LabVIEW.
  3. Look at the Installed Programs and make sure any other routines that were brought in by LabVIEW (such as JKI's VIPM, IVI routines, and VISA) are also uninstalled.
  4. Reboot your PC.
  5. Decide on your LabVIEW Version (I'm assuming LabVIEW 2015),  Have the entire Installation Kit (as DVDs, Downloads, or USB Stick) available before you start.
  6. Start a new Installation.  You are going to make this a "One-Version-of-LabVIEW" machine, so choose wisely.  [You will be able to upgrade, but you must upgrade everything together, and once you do, you can't go back easily!].
  7. Install LabVIEW and any Modules and Toolkits you need.  Do not install any Drivers.
  8. Reboot.
  9. Install the Drivers (including DAQmx) that you will need.
  10. Reboot.
  11. Open MAX.  Use MAX to reformat (or otherwise initialize) your RT Target, reinstall its Operating System, install its Drivers, and reboot it.
  12. At this point, you should have a "clean Host PC" and a "clean Target RT System" with the same Version of LabVIEW and LabVIEW RT on both, able to communicate with each other, and presenting a clean and unified "view of the system".
  13. If you have NI Update installed, do not install any updates for "future" Versions of NI Software.  If offered an update that has a Version (year) number higher than what you have installed, do not install it.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,179 Views)

Bob Schor, thanks for this detailed reply. I shall go ahead and follow the steps.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,175 Views)

I've find the solution without reinstalling the entire system.

Just got to MAX on your host computer. Make sure that MAX can detect your remote PXI system, then go to software. Install DAQmx. Problem solved.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,153 Views)

Yes, the system on the Host and the system on the Remote must be the same (which is why we kept asking for the list of software on the PXI).  If you have multiple systems on both, it can be tricky figuring out what "the same" means, which is the advantage of a "single system" installation on the Host.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,145 Views)