LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview application and tablet PC with touch screen

Solved!
Go to solution

I was wondering if someone could help me out here ... I'm a little confused.

If I wanted to develop an application in Labview (8.5) for a tablet pc that has a touch screen running either (1)Windows 7 Pro,(2) Windows Vista business edition, or (3) Windows Xp Tablet PC edition would I need the Touch Panel Module for any/all of these configurations?  If I wanted to deploy applications using this configuration, I would be required to purchase a licence for each and every deployment of this system?

Thanks for any clarification you can offer

Greycat

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(7,513 Views)

Your best source of information in terms of Licensing would be NI.  But, AFAIK if you have a version of LabVIEW that allows application building and distributing you would only need to get one license for the module for your LabVIEW workstation.  If you are buying individual copies of LabVIEW for each of the PCs you are deploying your LabVIEW VIs to, then you would need the module for each PC.

I don't think the module is 100% necessarily.  If your stylus interacts with the tablet PC just like a mouse would then you can have that level of functionality.  Advance stylus stuff would need the module, I think.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 24
(7,502 Views)

Greycat

With LabVIEW you can create a exe that you can run on any windows system with the LabVIEW Run-Time engine.You will need LabVIEW Professional with Application Builder so you will have the ability to create an exe or installer.

Take a look at this tutorial for more info on how to distribute applications in LabVIEW

Distributing Applications with the LabVIEW Application Builder

I do want to mention that LabVEW 8.5 will not be compatable with Windows 7. Check out the LabVIEW OS support roadmap for more info.

Message 3 of 24
(7,477 Views)

Thanks Hueter:

I have 8.5 professional so I am able to build exe's and installers.  The root of the question is - do I have to purchase a licence for each tablet the exe that I've built is distributed on.

Lets say I build an application (exe) using the touch screen module (on a development PC) and I have 7 tablets that I want to copy the same exe to all of them and I plan on selling them with the program on them.  Do I have to buy 7 distribution licences or do I not. I'm a little confused .. I will send an email to NI and see what I get back ... 

Thanks for the link to the OS support chart ... that will come in usefull.

Thanks for everyones help thus far .. if anyone else has any information ... please post

Greycat

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24
(7,469 Views)

You do not have to purchase licensees then you distribute exe files. At least as a thumb rule. Some kit like Vision and Labview RT need extra run time licensees. But not plain Labview exe files.  

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 5 of 24
(7,462 Views)

Well - I heard back from NI ... here is the repsonse in general ...

If you are going to be using an executable built with the touch panel module, and be deploying it to non-NI hardware - you need to purchase a licence for each and every deployment.  Not really a big deal if you are building one or two, but if you are deploying it as a piece of a product where $600 (licence fee) would push up the price too far, then it is prohibitive.  Especially if NI doesn't make what you need in a tablet for your purposes.  Anyhow, that is the answer I got.

Here is another question if anyone can shed some light.  If using a tablet running Windows Vista lets say, and you build an application for the tablet NOT using the touch panel module for Labview, would the system not register any screen touches as mouseclicks and Labview wouldn't know any different, or is there some way that labview can intercept the system functions and not allow any action on touches if the touch panel module was not used?  Or is there something that I don't understand with how these things operate?  

If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be great.  Thanks

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

Greycat

Message Edited by Greycat on 11-02-2009 08:25 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(7,437 Views)

So Labview take 600$ for a touch panel license. That was a extremely steep price I must say. I would be interesting if someone from NI could comment. I tested the 8.6 touch panel module. And all the module generated was an exe file. But still NI demand almost as much for this as for a NI LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License for Desktop PCs. But in this price a RTOS is included.

Anyway I did some touch panel work a few years ago. Then I used a Advantech device running windows XP. Labview had no problem in recognize the touch panel. As both windows and Labview just recognized it as some standard mouse/pointer device. So you can use standard Labview to build the exe files. And then Deploy without any voracious license fee.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
Message 7 of 24
(7,430 Views)

Thanks for that Coq ... can you post the exact model you used for this?

The one big problem I have is that for our implentation we need a ruggedized touch panel and NI doesn't make those ... so I HAVE to buy non-NI ... hopefully I don't need the touch panel module for some ruggedized tablets and can avoid the licence fee.  Anyone have any experience with ruggedized tablets without using the touch  panel module?

Greycat

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 24
(7,424 Views)
Sorry I can not remember. It was for a medical device. But take a look here www.advantech.com They are very big in panel PC's for for all kinds of needs

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24
(7,421 Views)

Hi,

We have worked on the config that you are working on,

The software that is created w/o touch panel can be implemented on tablet pc which is having Windows XP, Vista.

"If using a tablet running Windows Vista lets say, and you build an application for the tablet NOT using the touch panel module for Labview, would the system not register any screen touches as mouseclicks and Labview wouldn't know any different, or is there some way that labview can intercept the system functions and not allow any action on touches if the touch panel module was not used?  Or is there something that I don't understand with how these things operate?  "

For the above query, The software will work normally, it will register the screen touches as mouse clicks.

Message 10 of 24
(7,247 Views)