Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview and Adobe Acrobat output

We currently can print (one at a time) a vi graph to Adobe pdf format,
where each instance promping for a file name. Having hundreds of data
acquistions, I would rather have a solution that prints to PDF files with
no
subsequent prompt for the user. Is there such an animal?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,215 Views)
John Balone wrote:

> We currently can print (one at a time) a vi graph to Adobe pdf format,
> where each instance promping for a file name. Having hundreds of data
> acquistions, I would rather have a solution that prints to PDF files with
> no
> subsequent prompt for the user. Is there such an animal?

You are probably using the PDF Writer function currently and what you need is the Distiller
function. When you print to the Distiller, it uses the default name C:\DISTASST.PS. The Distiller
will run as a background task, recognize the creation of the file, and convert it to
C:\DISTASST.PDF. Once you have allowed sufficient time for the conversion, you can copy the file to
your data directory, and rename it to anything you want.
--
Michael Munroe Mailto:m
munroe@abcdefirm.com
A Better Complete Development Engineering Firm
San Mateo, CA 94403 http://www.abcdefirm.com
Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,215 Views)
Michael Munroe wrote:

> John Balone wrote:
>
> > We currently can print (one at a time) a vi graph to Adobe pdf format,
> > where each instance promping for a file name. Having hundreds of data
> > acquistions, I would rather have a solution that prints to PDF files with
> > no
> > subsequent prompt for the user. Is there such an animal?
>
> You are probably using the PDF Writer function currently and what you need is the Distiller
> function. When you print to the Distiller, it uses the default name C:\DISTASST.PS. The Distiller
> will run as a background task, recognize the creation of the file, and convert it to
> C:\DISTASST.PDF. Once you have allowed sufficient time for the conversion, you can copy the file to
> your data directory, and rename it t
o anything you want.

Or why not just print Postscript files from LabVIEW, and then run a batch job with Distiller on the
entire directory after they're all printed?
Also, Distiller on the MacOS lets you set up a "watched" folder; any EPS files that get placed in it
get converted to PDF with automatic naming (e.g., foo.eps to foo.pdf). Can the PC version do the same?

Rod
--
Roderic Don
Research Associate II
University of Delaware
Center for Composite Materials
302-831-8701
302-831-8525 (FAX)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,215 Views)
I have the same situation that John asked about in his original question: I would like to use labview to create .pdf files of some standard forms (corresponding to front panels which which we currently print on paper). I would like to make Labview programatically name these .pdf files based on form number and test number (i.e. without user input). The print post script file idea suggested sounds good, but I don't know how to do it. How do I programatically assign a name to a postscript file for labview to print?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,215 Views)
What is the "Distiller"? Didn't know there was a PDF Writer function either. Anyone have an example of how to do this? I am using a PC, and wanting to print out the strip chart after testing. My application is very similar to John's.

Charley Tompkins
charley.tompkins@bakeroiltools.com
Test and Automation Engineer
Baker Oil Tools
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,215 Views)
In response to your exact question, I don't know, if the filename is generated by you as a prompt in LabVIEW, then you are well on your way. If it is prompted for by the system, then good luck. Not having worked with this before, I can't offer much.

However...

If what you are trying to do is, as some others posting here, to print a graph periodically, then I can offer an alternative suggestion:

I once created a strip chart recorder program in LabVIEW 5.0.1. It took data at a configurable rate, and compiled it to a color graph. Periodically (also configurable, in number of data points???) it would print a b&w graph of the data collected in that set. At the end of a period, I would have a stack of neatly printed graphs, just like a strip chart record
er (sort of...)

The trick to doing this was to call a different VI with configured graphs, all neatly put up on a page, and populate the graphs with the latest data, and programmatically print the front panel. This allowed incredible flexibility with certain restrictions. As this was a front panel, you couldn't (in my version) easily configure the number of channels. All graphs were individual graphs, and were autoscaled, or scaling was manually configured. Additional information such as filename (data were also saved to disk at the same time it was printed), date, time, and other pertinent information were printed on the graph printout. It was quite inexpensive, and until daylight savings time, was quite reliable (good old windows 95 liked to shut down the system to tell you it was changing the time, and hold everything, waiting for you to say "ok"...gotta love it...)

This is an excellent method of producing strip-chart recorder type output to a printer without much fancy p
rogramming. While it does take a little bit of planning to execute properly, it really works well.

Hope that helps
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,215 Views)