LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Style: How to handle dense wire diagrams

@altenbach wrote:

@Brett.frymire@fcimg.com wrote:

I find there is a problem using clusters, as i have  VI hierachy that is 10 layers deep, in that one small change now has to be changed in several locations. 

Make sure your clusters are type definitions.

Ditto that!

See here for my Nugget on type definitons from where you will find the following quote.

"

“THE ESSENCE OF TYPE DEFINITIONS IS THAT IF THE TYPE DEFINITION IS CHANGED ALL "MEMBERS" WILL CHANGE THE SAME WAY.” (Albert Geven LabVIEW Champion )

"

And if you like thos and have grey matter left over, then check Felix's suggestion of using LVOOP. Much of LVOOP is very similar to using type def'd clusters but with extra feature built-in.

Re: your style.

1) Save your VI

2) Hit the diagram clean-up

3) observe that your style is not much different and actually better.

4) Hit ctrl-z to go back to your version.

Note:

You used the word varialbe in a manner that could hint at a concern that others have touched on. In LabVIEW all of the variables are wires. Controls and indicators are not variables. THey are hooks into and out of the GUI and used to get data from the user or update the user.

Take care,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 11 of 11
(153 Views)