cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview, Source Code Control and Backup

Solved!
Go to solution

@billko wrote:

Make sure to tell SVN to treat lvlib and lvproj files as binary otherwise it gets hairy when two people accidentally edit the same file and SVN tries to be smart about merging the differences.

Ooooh, how you do dat?  I don't use lvlibs very much, but I use Projects all the time, and I agree that merges are "hope and pray".  I know about excluding files (in the .svnprops file), and tried to look this up once, but got lost, seeing Marcel Marceau everywhere (or some other Mime).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 36
(812 Views)

I was going to respond and say you need to add lines to your .gitattributes file, but then I realised you're asking about SVN.

These links might get you started, but I haven't tried it myself...

How do I tell Subversion to treat a file as a binary file? 

SVN Auto-props 

Edit: I see you might already have had a traumatic experience with mimes... these will probably just reinforce that 😞

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 36
(811 Views)

Interesting point billko. How did you do that?

Francesco

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 36
(790 Views)

@cbutcher wrote:

I was going to respond and say you need to add lines to your .gitattributes file, but then I realised you're asking about SVN.

These links might get you started, but I haven't tried it myself...

How do I tell Subversion to treat a file as a binary file? 

SVN Auto-props 

Edit: I see you might already have had a traumatic experience with mimes... these will probably just reinforce that 😞

Interesting.  In your first link, there's an excerpt from SVN that shows how binary files are actually diff'd for archiving.  I thought it only did that for text files.  I wonder how efficient that is?  For instance, for LabVIEW executables, if you made a minor revision and rebuilt the executable, are they even close enough binary-wise for a diff to actually be worth doing?  I can imagine that they are so different that you're just wasting time trying to figure out what's different and you end up archiving most/all of the file anyway.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 36
(757 Views)

@FM82 wrote:

Interesting point billko. How did you do that?

Francesco

The post above yours (cbutcher's) shows how.  You might need to be an SVN admin, depending on how it is set up.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 36
(755 Views)

I must thank you all for all the precious advices that you give me. Like I said before i made my choice and go for TortoiseSVN. First I'll try it and take confidence and then I will reccomend it for all that produce files in a computer on my company.

Thanks again,

Francesco

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 36
(717 Views)