From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview, Source Code Control and Backup

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Bill,

for me the "Separate…" is applied as soon as the "Marked for separation" is taken in the project properties dialog - even before saving the project…

(It makes sense to save the project too to keep the changed properties.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 36
(876 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

More specifically, the Save All option.  After all, the Separate From Compiled is ultimately a VI property.  All the other check boxes are to set this for any new VIs.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 36
(854 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Bill,

for me the "Separate…" is applied as soon as the "Marked for separation" is taken in the project properties dialog - even before saving the project…

You're right.  As soon as you actually mark them by clicking the [Mark Selected Items] button, they get saved.  (If you have SVN and you mark them, you can instantly see all the icons turn into red (!).)  But my point was that you had to go and mark them first.  You accidentally omitted that step.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 36
(848 Views)

Another Tortoise SVN user here. 

I like it because it's free and easy to setup.  

Since starting my own business, I switched to using local repositories that I maintain external backups of.  

This combination really works for me.  

That rolling backup sure can be a time saver if things suddenly go sideways.  

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 36
(845 Views)

Anyone uses SVN for other than Source Code? Maybe .doc, excel files, CAD drawing and so on? It is possible to do this? I read that SVN works for binary files but are there drawbacks (except the server side disk memory optimization)? 

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 36
(834 Views)

Hi Francesco,

we also use the same SVN server to commit other filetypes too: electronic schematics with related device libraries, some manuals, Excel files used to keep configs etc in LabVIEW projects, …

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 26 of 36
(828 Views)

Thank you GerdW,

did you encounter problem or strange behaviours?

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 36
(822 Views)

No.

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 36
(820 Views)

@FM82 wrote:

Anyone uses SVN for other than Source Code? Maybe .doc, excel files, CAD drawing and so on? It is possible to do this? I read that SVN works for binary files but are there drawbacks (except the server side disk memory optimization)? 

We also store other files types and have not encountered any issues. The only thing to be aware if which you mentioned already is that unlike text files, SVN stores complete copies of binary files which does mean more disk space being used. With text files it stores only the differences and the info to reconstruct the file.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 36
(814 Views)

Make sure to tell SVN to treat lvlib and lvproj files as binary otherwise it gets hairy when two people accidentally edit the same file and SVN tries to be smart about merging the differences.  The problem here is that you won't get a conflict because SVN will try to be smart and will merge them (because they are xml files), but your library or project file is doomed to corruption.  If you tell SVN to treat them as binary, you'll get a conflict notification, instead.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 30 of 36
(782 Views)