From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Interfacing microcontroller

Hi

I have viewed numerous form having discussions on interfacing between LabVIEW and microcontroller and most of the discussion concluded on using UART as a viable option. I have the same question but I don't wanna use UART as the communication medium.

Basically, I wanna control a motor operated wheelchair using LabVIEW software. I can't communication using UART to the wheelchair because I would have to drag my computer with the wheelchair. The data acquisition board provided by Labview like myRIO,compactRIO are pretty expensive and I wanna go cheap.

What would be the cheapest and wireless communication technique between computer and wheelchair? Thanks in advance

Regards

Ammar Naseer

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,603 Views)

There are a few options to use Arduino and Raspberry Pi microcontrollers with Labview. Look into the LINX toolkit for Arduino, and look into MakerHub toolkit for Raspberry Pi. I think there were a couple of other toolkits for Raspberry Pi but the names escape me at the moment. 

Message 2 of 7
(2,580 Views)

Thanks for the reply

I thought that through but the same problem lies instead of using UART I would be stuck with USB cable connecting my LabVIEW with Arduino.

If I am thinking straight.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,564 Views)

LabVIEW is software.  An arduino is hardware.  How do they connect using a USB cable?

The suggestion is to use an Arduino and/or a Raspberry PI has your hardware.  Smaller, inexpensive pieces of hardware than a PC.  You might use a PC connected to them via a cable (USB or serial) to program them.  But once that is done, the programs running on them will do what you programmed to do.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,546 Views)

I didn't know that the program created on LabVIEW could be uploaded on an Aurdino. I thought as long as PC (running LabVIEW code) is connected to the cable Aurdino reads Labview software and when the USB cable is disconnected it won't work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,530 Views)

@naseera wrote:

I didn't know that the program created on LabVIEW could be uploaded on an Aurdino.

It can't.  What Linx did was create canned sketches that can run on an Arduinio which a LabVIEW application can communicate with over a UART connection.

I know some people have managed to get a LabVIEW application to run on a Raspberry Pi, so that might be an option for you.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,514 Views)

Use an Arduino and the UART with Bluetooth modules ;like the HC-05 and HC-06.

Once you setup and pair the Bluetooth modules they install a virtual serial port and become transparent

Communication with the Arduino (using LINX or not) is just like communicating with any other device on serial port. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 7 of 7
(2,501 Views)