LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Dependencies

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all, I have been trying to compile my project and send said project so that another person can work on it. However, because i have previously copies and duplicated the project multiple times before, it seems that the dependencies of multiple VIs have been messed up and i cannot easily send the whole project to the next person without encountering some missing VIs. However, the whole project still runs perfect on my own computer. Is there a way where i can mass compile all the relevant VIs in my project so that i am able to send the whole project in one shot. Please advise as i am really lost in how to continue. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,613 Views)

You could build a source distribution or standalone executable.

Message 2 of 7
(1,602 Views)

if i do a standalone executable, will the person that i send the project to be able to see the block diagram and front panel code?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,597 Views)

They will only be able to run a standalone exe. No LabVIEW needed, just the runtime engine and drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,566 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MBSHIRAZIZ

1. Use a Source Code Control software to manage your project updates.  This helps avoid the copying and causing the cross-dependencies.

2. Delete or move your current project into a new folder.  This will break all of the VIs that depend on other projects.  Now you can go through the project and figure out what VIs are missing.  You can also go through the Dependencies section of the project to see what dependencies you need to copy over from other projects.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 7
(1,523 Views)

You can also do a Save As... and then pick Duplicate .lvproj file and contents.

That will grab every needed VI in the project and put them all in folder you specify.  BUT, it will maintain the current directory structure so you will probably have a C: folder > Program FIles (x86) > etc. > etc. that you might want to drill down into and cut and paste every VI and file to the top level.

Once you have all the dependencies neatly stored in one folder make sure you decide how you want to use your LabVIEW Project's folders, real OS folders and a good version control scheme to keep everything clean and safe going forward.

Best Practices for Managing NI LabVIEW Applications Using the Project Explorer - NI

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 6 of 7
(1,504 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

1. Use a Source Code Control software to manage your project updates.  This helps avoid the copying and causing the cross-dependencies.

2. Delete or move your current project into a new folder.  This will break all of the VIs that depend on other projects.  Now you can go through the project and figure out what VIs are missing.  You can also go through the Dependencies section of the project to see what dependencies you need to copy over from other projects.

IMO out of all these solutions, this is ALWAYS the best way.  Besides making it easier for someone else to work on, you have a "time machine" where you can "go back in time" to any point in the development where you did a commit, allowing you to make radical changes without fear of destroying the project if it doesn't work out.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 7 of 7
(1,496 Views)