LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Code for motor shaft movement monitoring using proximity probes

Hello Ni Community,

I am working on a project that requires monitoring of motor shaft movement. My monitoring sensor is a proximity probe that outputs voltage. I have two of these probes which are 90 degrees apart. The aim is that one probe will monitor horizontal movement while the other monitors vertical movement. The prove is connected to AI module N9221 whose range is +/- 60V sitting in NI- cDAQ-9174 chassis. I am using LabVIEW version 13 since this is version that has  Sound & Vibration toolkit installed. Data collected should also be plotted orbitally using LabVIEW code. Does anyone has a code or idea of how I can get this done?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,061 Views)

@Austyno wrote:

Does anyone has a code or idea of how I can get this done?

Define your problem. Though you say you want to "monitor" the motor shaft movement, what does that mean? Do you simply want numeric indicators? Want to view the data on a graph or output to a file?

Start in small chunks. One of the many strengths of LabVIEW is that it forces you to make modular code. If you don't make good use of SubVIs, your diagrams quickly become messy, unreadable, and unmaintainable. I would list some goals of what you want to get working, like:

• Read voltage from 1 channel
  • Convert voltage to physical units
  • Read physical units from both channels
  • Write data to graph
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(3,038 Views)

Thanks Gregory for your input and question. I want to monitor and acquire data based on motor shaft movement using proximity probes. Two probes are position at 90 degrees to each other in order to monitor and send signal. One proximity probe monitors the horizontal movement while the other monitors the vertical movement. These two data when acquired will then be used to do an Orbital plot. Currently I have setup my code to acquire voltage signals from Ni 9221 Ai module. Next thing I will then do is to change these voltage values into real physical unit of distance and then Graph/write these values to a file but is there any help with regards of how Labview can be used to do the orbital plot?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(2,991 Views)

I don't have the Sound and Vibration toolkit but a quick search indicates what you're doing is pretty much built in.  Did you read the manual or try a search?

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372416A-01/svtconcepts/obt_tbs_shctln/

http://www.ni.com/example/30571/en/

There are probably examples installed with the toolkit too.  Look in:  Help > Find Examples...  Toolkits and Modules > Sound and Vibration

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(2,986 Views)

Once you get your data acquisition down, I think a graph like this might be fun to watch:

temp.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(2,982 Views)

Thanks for the information. Will explore it and see if it works ok for me, otherwise I will contact you any further inputs

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(2,976 Views)

Thanks Gregory. Can you help save the VI in LabVIEW Version 13?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(2,974 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(2,971 Views)

Hello Gregory,

I tried adding your Vi to my code but got the below disconnections. I have attached the Vi for your perusal

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(2,965 Views)

Hi Austyno,

Please read the detailed help on XY Graphs. They take several different kinds of data, but what you chose is not one of them!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(2,957 Views)