LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Books for 8.5

Proven Active Veterans,

Does anyone know of a good current book that is based on Labview 8.5 which goes into advance and intermediate LabVIEW topics?

Regards,

SS

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,355 Views)
I have looked around and have not found one specific to LV 8.5.  My personal favorite is LabVIEW Graphical Programming by Gary W. Johnson & Richard Jennings because of its good mix of topics and advanced concepts.  Hope this helps.
Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
Message 2 of 11
(5,333 Views)
"LabView for Everyone" by J. Travis, & J. Kring, third edition, Prentice Hall; ISBN 0-13-185672-3
Message 3 of 11
(5,255 Views)

I am not a PAV but I'll add my 2 cents.

I like "LabVIEW for Everyone" third edition is the most up to date text but does not cover LV 8.5.

But if you handle everything in that book, then the release notes and a couple of posting to the forums should fill in the gaps.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,249 Views)

I was hoping that would be written a book for Object-Oriented programming, specific for Labview.

It seems strange that noone has written such a book. (as far as i know).

I am not familiar with OOP and i am having trouble understanding its advantages...

Message 5 of 11
(5,217 Views)

I just bought LabVIEW Advanced Programming Techniques (Rick Bitter).  It's a recent update (2007) which covers the Project Window, Shared Variable, .NET and OOP.  There's a lot of ActiveX stuff too.  I literally opened it this morning but it looks quite detailed and no-nonsense.  Good reviews at Amazon as well.

I also picked up Blume's LabVIEW Style Book.  That looks excellent.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 6 of 11
(5,177 Views)
The LabVIEW Style Book by Blume is very good, but does not include anything on OO.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,122 Views)

One caveat on Bitter's LabVIEW Advanced Programming Techniques:

The CD of examples is all written in 5.1.  I can open them with 7.1.1 but not with 8.5.  I suppose I could upgrade them but it's a bit of an oversight that the author would re-write the book and yet not bother providing updated examples.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,055 Views)

Hi,

I am looking on the web for an Authors website.  Is the situation with "labview advanced programming techniques" still the same in that there are no upgraded VI's and there is no authors website.  It's too bad if this is the case.

I don't own labview 7.1.1

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,463 Views)

Success.  Used my 8.2 as intermediary to open older files.  Enjoying the chapter on ActiveX of Advanced Programming Techniques.

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,388 Views)