LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 8.6 fatal crash when clicking broken run arrow to list errors.

thanks mattvx.

i was able to find the error on my own (eventually), however not having the broken arrow to point at errors can make debug a lengthy process. please post the control. it would be a big help until NI can come up with the fix.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 33
(5,928 Views)

We have the very same problem with a VI I that I am trying to get under control that three other LabVIEW "programmers" had worked on before.

It is about 3.3 meg in size. The block diagram is 12 screens wide and 5 high.

Migrated it from LV 7.1 to LV 8.5.

Our problem seems to be system ram size. The VI runs on a PXI controller with only 512 meg ram. Click the broken arrow and LabVIEW crashes.

Copy the VI over to a PC with more memory and we have no problem seeking out the errors and fixing them. Copy the VI back to the PXI controller. The VI runs, but if we edit it and get a broken arrow and click on the broken to see the errors, LabVIEW crashes.

Trying to talk the customer into upgrading the ram. 

Omar

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 33
(5,918 Views)

my VI is 2 MB.

1.4 GHz, 1.25 GB of RAM. haven't tried it on another computer yet, but i will when i get a chance.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 33
(5,913 Views)

Hey guys,

Here is the control NI sent. I haven't actually tried yet. According the the app engineer you just place it on the front panel while you're editing and you should be able to load the error list. good luck. 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 33
(5,901 Views)

Wow, a magic control!

Now that's something I haven't seen before. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 33
(5,892 Views)

Have anyone tried this "magic control"?

I have the same trouble on a PXI running LabVIEW 8.5.1.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 33
(5,771 Views)

Hi Everyone,

The magic control was created by R&D Smiley Happy. The work around is place the magic control on the front panel of the VI that crashes when you press its broken run arrow. Please leave the dropped control present for your entire LV editing session and only remove it when you are ready to really use your VI.

Let me know if this workaround does not work for you.

Thanks!

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 17 of 33
(5,746 Views)

I've added the "magic control" to my current project and the first time I clicked on the broken arrow icon, my errors were listed as normal. However, any time I click it now causes LabView to bomb out in the same way as described earlier (i.e. LabVIEW 8.6 Development System has encountered a problem and needs to close)

Does anyone else have any further information as I'm wasting hours trying to locate the error and I need to get this job out.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 33
(5,725 Views)

Hi Leesi,

I need a little more information from you.

Did you remove the control during your development? It is important that you do not remove the control until you are completely ready to use the application.

If this is case, can you please send the VI that you are testing on? I would like to test it here to see if I can simulate the issue.

Thanks!

Warm regards,
Karunya R
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 19 of 33
(5,700 Views)

Hi Karunya_R

I can confirm that I still have the control added to my development but am still experiencing the problem. Having said that, my project is reasonably large with quite a few sub-VI's and other dependencies. If I create a very simple VI and cause an error, clicking on the "List Errors" icon works correctly, even without the "Big Cluster" control.

Strangely, I just removed the "Big Cluster" control and now my "List Errors" is working again. I've now found and corrected the error! Weird!

I think I'll have to persevere like this for now as time isn't on my side. I'll add it and remove it as necessary!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 33
(5,677 Views)