From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 8.6 crashes when adding plots to watch list of multi plot cursor

The VI attached was culled from a larger application that I am developing. Specifically, it's purpose is to load an LVM file and display all of the signals in a mixed signal plot. The data is sent to the graph as XY clusters with X representing timestamps and Y being the amplitude of the given signal.

The problem occurs when I create a multi-plot cursor then start adding plots to the watch list. Specifically, If I add the very first channel in the list Labview will instantly crash. The other channels do not seem to cause this behavior. I can add the first channel if I watch all plots or if I add other channels before I try and add the first one (though that only works sometimes).

Is there anyplace in Labview that I might be able to find an error log to see what is happening? 

I've attached the following to this post:

1. Zip file containing the VIs and SubVIs I am using that show this behavior

2. Copy of a data file that I am trying to load (had to change .lvm extension to .txt in order to upload file)

To reproduce the error, run the attached VI then click the browse button on the path control and select the supplied logfile. Hit the Load button then create a multi-plot cursor. You will see a few minutes of data appear on the graph. When you start adding individual channels to the watch list Labview will unexpectedly crash without any explanation (error window, etc).

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,461 Views)

Hi scrook,

Thanks for the post!

I noticed you've had no reply, so I thought I would at least generate some activity... 

Im currently out of the office, but I will endeavor to take alook at your code - at some point in my shift!

Kind Regards, 

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,435 Views)

Is LabVIEW hanging or closing?

Regards,
Claire Reid
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,412 Views)

Claire,

Labview instantly closes. Not just the running VI either but any and all Labview windows running on the machine instantly close.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,398 Views)

Hi, I downloaded your attached files, and tried to reproduce the error, but was unable to. I ran the attached VI then clicked the browse button on the path control and selected the supplied logfile. I then hit the Load button, this made the data appear on the graph. I then created a multi-channel cursor following the steps in THIS KnowledgeBase article. There was no problem adding individual lots. I also added all plots at once, and this worked.

Please let me know if I was attempting to recreate the error in the incorrect way.

Regards,
Claire Reid
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,370 Views)

Claire,

How many individual plots did you try to add? I have been reproducing this error on my development machine by adding the first 3 or 4 plots in order and LabVIEW tends to crash on the third or forth plot. Sometimes it will crash as soon as I try to add the very first plot. It's not always consistant in that regard.

I am able to set the cursor to watch all plots without crashing however, I've found that if I have a fair amount of data over many channels, the cursor is not responsive. By that I mean that when you drag it, the cursor is very slow to move and the values in the cursor legend are slow to update.

If you are still unable to reproduce this error then it's likely the problem is somewhere on my end but not necessarily in the VI itself or the logfile. If that is the case, is there a logfile that labview keeps that might give us some more information as to what is happening before it crashes?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,354 Views)
I am still unable to reproduce your problem.
Regards,
Claire Reid
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,333 Views)

Good morning,

I spoke to another Applications Engineer here at NI, Stephen, and he said he is working on this issue with you on the phone as well. I believe he was also not able to reproduce the crash. Are you reinstalling LabVIEW? He mentioned that was something you were going to try. Keep me posted.

Regards,
Claire Reid
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,318 Views)

Claire,

I have uninstalled LabVIEW and all of the NI drivers and other software that could be associated with it. I then reinstalled everything and this problem is still occuring.

I'm not sure what else could be going wrong. I'm going to try making the smaller program into an executable then try it on a different machine to see if the results are any different.

Aside from that, since you can't reproduce the error, maybe I can send a video showing the crash itself so that you can see exactly what it is that I am doing. If there is any way to turn on some sort of debugging or error reporting for LabVIEW itself so that it would leave us some clues as to why specifically it is crashing that would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,302 Views)
Usually if a LabVIEW crash is caused by something with LabVIEW, you will get a message about the crash the next time you open up LabVIEW. Are you getting any message when you reopen LabVIEW? If not, this might be a Windows issue that is cause LabVIEW to crash. Let me know.
Regards,
Claire Reid
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,299 Views)