LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 8.6.1 does not respond when I control a com component

I have a large Labview 8.6.1 code in which I added a camera control for which I have this COM component. NI Japan integrated the COM drivers into Labview drivers and designed an application that controlled almost everything. Camera always responds with events to the remote control not with usual READ. This application example which is event based application works well.

My large application configures and executs test profiles and contains that control of other devices: DAQ AI and AO, FP AIO, FP TC and of course camera that I have for integration. Without camera integration my application works well. The camera control being sensitive to events I made it as single server which can take the COM events (as in NI Japan example) and can pragmatically set events using queue and a registered dynamic event in a event structure.

When I run everything sometime at no specific moment I see Labview does not responding and I have to keel it. Some other times my application works well but I can not run repetitive tests with out problem.

My filling is that something from Labview conflicts with COM component, it could be DAQ drivers or field points or database connection. I do not suspect the camera server by itself  because it is very similar with NI Japan example.

I know this is a difficult question: how can I identify what part of Labview conflicts making code not responding?

Thank you,

Virginia

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,890 Views)

Greetings Virginia Solomon.

If LabVIEW crashes, especially if it produces an error in doing so, it is sometimes possible to trace what object caused the crash.  When this is not the case (or at times even when it is), a divide an conquer approach is often taken.  Often breaking your code down into as small segments as possible to locate an error or incompatibility is the best option.  Hope this helps. 

Best Regards,

Michael G

Michael G.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Self-realization: I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,852 Views)

I have modified my code in such a way to avoid NI DAQ or FP or any other communication. Here is what I found: very randomly code stops working showing me and I hope I am interpreting properly, when I turn the debug on (bulb is on) the current expecting running subvi shows an open reference of the subroutine and code can not run because reference is dimmed as you can see in the attached picture. Many times I had similar scenarios code stopping at handling the reference of the correct running subvi.

Of course I force to stop the code using End task from Device Manager. Sometimes when I launch Labview next time I have a working saying about the error and if I want to read the error log file. Unfortunately I look at this file but I am not able to interpret it.

Did anyone meet something like this? Stopping code at reference vi, when using COM component?

If someone can interpret the labview log file and can help I will post this.

Thank you,

Virginia

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,837 Views)

Greetings again Virginia.

I can't promise that I will be able to give any additional insight from the log file but sometimes it does help in situations like this.  If you can post it, I will look to see if I can provide you with any additional information to the root of your problem. 

Take care.

Michael G

Michael G.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Self-realization: I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,823 Views)

Hi Michael,

Here you have attached some of the latest log files.

I repeat that I am now clear that somehow the com I am using makes Labview blocking interfering with some vi references or queue or notifier references.

Thank you for support, I hope you can see something on those files.

Virginia

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,816 Views)

Hi Virginia,

When you say COM port, are you referring to the serial port? If so, are you trying to use multiple devices? This could cause a problem without producing an error.

Also, can you get your camera to work on it's own apart from this application?

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,779 Views)

When I say COM component I referring to a register DLL from which I can see properties and methods in Labview as well as events.

I am not referring to serial at all. In fact this camera is Ethernet but this type of communication does not have anything with the COM object that I can instantiate the control.

I wonder if someone can read the files I posted a good while ago, if not why is there this log files and messages that frequently appear that my Labview encountered errors and has to close.

Thank you,

Virginia

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,772 Views)

Virginia,

I see you have created a service request and are working with one of our engineers. I will let him take this issue further. If you would like, you can post again once you have a solution in case someone else encounters this problem.

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,740 Views)

I am glad someone trays to understand my frustration because in fact it was not obvious for me to reach to conclusion that Labview blocks to Open VI reference when I have an open object to a COM component such as camera having so many events received from camera (174 events when I open connection to camera).

I hope this will help.

Thank you,

Virginia

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,734 Views)