LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 8.0, 8.2, and 8.2.1

Solved!
Go to solution

I currently have a copy of labview 8.0, and 8.2, and a windows 10 64 bit laptop. We have one experiment setup (3 pieces of hardware) we want to use with this labview, but are having some issues. I believe these issues stem from the 64-bit operating system/installer. (When trying to install I get an error: "the windows installer engine is corrupt. to attempt to resolve this issue, please register the engine by running regsvr32.exe on msi.dll" I have already looked at posts on labview forums related to this error).

Namely, we can install labview 8.0 onto the system, but not labview 8.2. However, the .vi's from the company only work in labview 8.2. It appears there was an patch version of labview 8.2 called labview 8.2.1 that allowed it to be installed on 64-bit systems, but this is unvailable to me since I do not have a service membership.

What are my options? Is there another way to install labview 8.2 on my system? I am NOT proficient in labview, and this is my first time trying to use it, so I would not know how to create my own program for this equipment.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,094 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mdejarld

@mdejarld wrote:

I currently have a copy of labview 8.0, and 8.2, and a windows 10 64 bit laptop. We have one experiment setup (3 pieces of hardware) we want to use with this labview, but are having some issues. I believe these issues stem from the 64-bit operating system/installer. (When trying to install I get an error: "the windows installer engine is corrupt. to attempt to resolve this issue, please register the engine by running regsvr32.exe on msi.dll" I have already looked at posts on labview forums related to this error).

Namely, we can install labview 8.0 onto the system, but not labview 8.2. However, the .vi's from the company only work in labview 8.2. It appears there was an patch version of labview 8.2 called labview 8.2.1 that allowed it to be installed on 64-bit systems, but this is unvailable to me since I do not have a service membership.

What are my options? Is there another way to install labview 8.2 on my system? I am NOT proficient in labview, and this is my first time trying to use it, so I would not know how to create my own program for this equipment.

Thanks!

Here are your (official) options:

Windows/LabVIEW Compatibility matrix.  As you can see, L V 8.x isn't even on the RADAR.  That being said, you can probably find unofficial help to get it running somehow on Windows 10, but it would be a fight to get it to run, and even then, every time you had some kind of issue, you have no idea if the issue is the result of trying to run such an ancient version (relative to Win10) on Win10.  You're probably better off buying a new license and getting the right version of LabVIEW for your operating system.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 7
(6,085 Views)

Windows 10 is way too new.  And LV 8.0, 8.2 is way too old.

According to Gerd's link and this one http://www.ni.com/white-paper/10383/en/  you'd have to have a version of LabVIEW as recent as 2009 in order for it to even run on a Win7 OS.  (the oldest Windows version supported by Microsoft).

Time to upgrade LabVIEW.  Trying to make older LabVIEW work on the most recent OS is probably not worth the effort, assuming it is even possible.

"Namely, we can install labview 8.0 onto the system, but not labview 8.2. However, the .vi's from the company only work in labview 8.2."  I'm surprised you can install 8.0.  But just because it installs doesn't mean you won't have problems.

"However, the .vi's from the company only work in labview 8.2"  Is there a specific reason it won't work in LV 8.0 like it uses a feature that didn't exist?  If you don't want to give up yet, you can trying uploading the VI's to the Version Conversion board and request to have them downconverted from LV 8.2 to 8.0.

Message 3 of 7
(6,049 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. You are right that it is surprising that labview 8.0 is working, but it seems to interface fine with 2/3 of the pieces of equipment. The version conversion forum actually reverted the 8.2 .vi's to 8.0. However, in one of the programs it is calling for some subvi's that are not present. Specifically I am missing:

<vilib>:\Utility\file.llb\Read From Spreadsheet File (DBL) .vi

<vilib>:\imath\engines\lvmath\Utility\ErrorToErrorStatus.vi

<vilib>:\imath\engines\lvmath\MC_FunctionCall\MC_FunctionCall.vi

<vilib>:\imath\engines\lvmath\MC_Structure_Treatment.llb\MC_If_SelectCase.vi

<vilib>:\imath\engines\lvmath\MC_Structure_Treatment.llb\MC_Statement_List_Stop_Condition.vi

<vilib>:\imath\engines\lvmath\MC_FunctionCall\MC_OperatorCall.vi

<vilib>:\imath\engines\lvmath\node\MergeErrorsWrapper.vi

Thanks for the help though! At the moment I am not sure if purchasing a new labview version will ever be an option.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,039 Views)

Does it use MathScript?  Perhaps that is not installed.  Or should be rewritten to not use it.

For REad from Spreadsheet File.  That one  is obvious and you ought to be able to directly replace that with the one on the palette.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,035 Views)

I believe it is using Mathscript. And I think that is where the issue is. It is my understanding the labview 8.0 does have MS, but maybe not all of the same subvi's as 8.2. Another possibility might be that for some reason not all of the subvi's installed correctly for me. Nevertheless, that is what I am trying to figure out right now.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,029 Views)

Hi

MathScript Node was introduced in LV 8.0 Pro ( only ) and remained an included feature in subsequent 8.x versions.

MathScript Node was changed to a charged-for-option in LV 2009 :

LabVIEW MathScript is no longer a part of the Full and Professional Development Systems. In LabVIEW 2009, LabVIEW MathScript becomes the LabVIEW MathScript RT Module. You cannot run VIs from previous versions of LabVIEW that contain MathScript Nodes until you install and activate the MathScript RT Module or remove the MathScript Nodes from the VIs. If you have already purchased the MathScript RT Module, select Help»Activate LabVIEW Components to activate the product.

That you are missing some VI's, like the basic Spreadsheet reader indicates that your installation is incomplete ( ~ or corrupt ).

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(360 Views)