cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2018 hangs on startup

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently installed labview 2018 on my laptop (no previous labview install) and I can't get it to open, It hangs on the initial window or if I open a library or vi it hangs once that opens with no reported error.

hang.PNG

Version is 18.0.0. The package manager works fine and says everything is up to date. I am at a loss on how to find the issue here, any advice is welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,790 Views)

Any unusual antivirus or firewall settings?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,783 Views)

No. Only using windows defender and firewall. Just tried disabling both of them but still the same issue. I said yes to everything on the firewall popups on the first run anyway.

I should add I am using windows 10, 64 bit on a Surfacebook laptop. This is 32 bit labview.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,780 Views)

Hi Dimand,

Here are some similar old cases with solutions that might help you: 

LabVIEW Does Not Open After Clicking in its Executable/Shortcut

Uninstall or Repair National Instruments Software or Drivers in Windows

Please let us know what happens when you try these out.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,724 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dimand

Neither of hose worked sorry, NI package manager seems to have changed significantly since they were written.

I have managed to fix my issue however I am not sure how. After about 2 fresh installs from the universities server it seems to be functional this time. My only change was moving to a different network subnet. Perhaps the other one was blocking the licensing server however I'm not sure why that would indefinitely hang the program as opposed to just giving an error message.

Best of luck to anyone with the same issue.

Message 5 of 8
(3,708 Views)

I was about to suggest disconnecting the network Cable and test. There's been issues Before when not reaching the servers, but with no network it seems to skip that test. Your solution sounds similar to that.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,686 Views)

(Network connections should timeout after a potentially long time. I wonder if waiting nearly forever would also work 😄

There was a lot of misinformation in the early century about configuring firewalls and such. For example that misguided concept of "stealth" where incoming packets are dropped silently instead of sending back a RST or similar. So if the network is connected but the connection attempts are silently dropped somewhere on the way, things tend to gum up.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,674 Views)

I had the same problem. What helped is blocking Labview.exe for internet access. This is strange but it works. Go to Windows Defender Firewall and add a new rule ... BlockingLabview.PNG

Message 8 of 8
(3,288 Views)