From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2016 LLB Source Distribution

Tried it out.   Nope folders to old smashes folders to llbs unless they contain extensions like llb.

Cut n paste won't paste to anything other than another llb

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(863 Views)

Thanks for your suggestions thus far, (christineb/altenbach/Jeff Bohler)

Yes, LLB's was made for the long filename fix, back in the day. No other real reason. I see where the "known path" might work,like <LabVIEW>\Userlib\Groupxxx\LLBNAME\, but that doesn't give me a reason to keep the LLB. Will go the LV project route. I'll run a few LLB's through it,check out auto-pop

Historical Side Note: Does this imply LV under Linux or Mac had no real need for the LLB since those OS's didn't have long filename limitations?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(853 Views)

Having "something" that could wrap several functions in a single file was useful in itself.  An LLB was the only option before lvlibP ppls .  But they had drawbacks...

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(844 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Just tried myself with LV2018:

- made a LLB with 3 VIs

- opened the LLB with the manager

- selected all 3 VIs within, right-click, copy

- moved to a "normal" folder within the LLB manager

- clicked on "paste" icon in the menu line: all 3 VIs are copied into the folder

Still works as has been for years…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(840 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Just tried myself with LV2018:

- made a LLB with 3 VIs

- opened the LLB with the manager

- selected all 3 VIs within, right-click, copy

- moved to a "normal" folder within the LLB manager

- clicked on "paste" icon in the menu line: all 3 VIs are copied into the folder

Still works as has been for years…

I'll be a monkeys uncle.  I never knew an llb could have a real folder...I'm pretty sure 5.1 and 6 didn't allow it so... We all stopped using LLBs 

Turned out to be easier back then to save as, rename in windows explorer then manually replace subvis using the hierarchy view than deal with LLBs. 

I probably should have investigated more when the llb manager was introduced!  I might have still been trying to figure out how to permanently disable Auto Tool at the time though...:D

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(832 Views)

HiJeff,

I never knew an llb could have a real folder…

You cannot have a folder within a LLB. But you can navigate to a folder on your disc within the "LLB Manager"!

Select and copy the files within the LLB using the LLBManager, paste the files to a real folder using the LLBManager. That's how I turned every LLB I had into real folders…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 16 of 18
(828 Views)
Hi Folks,
 Let me chime back in here.

Short answer - Yes. 
Long Answer-
The LLB Manager allows you to see everything inside and outside of the LLB itself. Just open another LLB Manager, be sure you "know where it is" from the "URL window" (not its real name).
Then go copy/paste/move just like in Windows Explorer

What I am still trying to do Labview source distribution (of Directories and/or LLB's) is allow the "package" of vi's to be called by whatever Top-Level vi is in that same package--no matter where that "package" is moved to. At the risk of sounding too simplistic- what Labview Source Distribution does now is akin to "absolute addressing" and what I am looking for is akin to "relative addressing". Maybe there's a way to achieve this, Mongo don't know. For now we here (there's four of us at present) have a work-around.

Thanks for your help thus far
Mike
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(823 Views)

Ah,  That a pkg!  NIPM / VIPM create those

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(818 Views)