LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2016 Freeze

I have labview 2016b connect to two GPIB devices, an Ethernet instrument, and two serial port devices. These are all done through USB ports and a USB Hub. Also the PC has no Ethernet port and has a USB to Ethernet connection. These devices are read and the data collected is put into an array. The time period between reads is 5 seconds. My program may run several hours but eventually it will freeze. The last time I checked it it was stalled on a vi that was trying to read a GPIB device. There's no loop in this vi. It should pass right through. I had to stop Labview and restart the PC. Could it be that I'm swamping my program with all these devices.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,758 Views)

I have labview 2016, but your version is later than mine apparently.

Question for you, do you use any serial converters? Also i read you have a USB hub.  This hubs and converters can be conterfiet and they have random issues with labview.  I had an application using prolific converters, it would work great for a few hours then crash and other times it would work for 5 minutes and then crash.  I dont know the exact issue, probably some driver problem, but i know there can be issues.  I switched to an FTDI converter bought directly from FTDI and it worked perfect after that.

Hope that helps.

-Matt
Message 2 of 7
(3,748 Views)

I'm with Matt here, it's probably a USB hub problem if it's freezing up on a GPIB loop.  Not totally ruling out low-grade USB to RS232 connectors here, but it leans towards the hub as I've used quite a lot of NI GPIB-USB adapters and never had a problem that I could trace back to one of them.

If you can, try to invest in a higher-quality hub.  Make sure it's well-powered (check the power brick that comes with it as well as its stated power output capabiity per port).  Also, it may seem counterintuitive but you probably want a 4-port hub.  You'll notice that hubs usually have 4, 7, 10, or 16 ports on them, and that's because the base chip is a 1-in, 4-out chip, and if you see a 7 port hub it's really a 4-port hub and another 4-port hub inside one box, and one of the plugs on the first hub is internally connected to the second hub.

Message 3 of 7
(3,720 Views)

And buy it from a LEGITMATE vendor!  Do NOT buy it off amazon!! haha.

-Matt
Message 4 of 7
(3,712 Views)

Thanks  Matt and Kyle. Your help is greatly appreciated. I do have a questionable USB to Serial Converter, probably profilithic. I'll buy the FTDI converter. Also I have a 4 USB Hub. It gets its power from the Laptop USB port. No power supply. I'm using 3 of the Hub ports. I should see if I can buy a better quality one. The cost is not important at this time. Having test run for a few days is the important thing.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,653 Views)

and also...

There are power/hibernation setting on PC that want to shut down USB ports if the pC thinks it is idle.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,647 Views)

I'll look into that as well. It may be a problem as our tests last several days.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,632 Views)