LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2011 executable pauses randomly until selected (put on top/focus)

Dear All,

I am using Labview 2011 for programing data acquisition using many interfaces (dll, GPIB, serial). Basically I am using a state machine with a while loop and separate loop for events.

Executable is run on a computer without Labview (only runtime libraries) for many hours without user input. It works OK if it was not for an unpredictable/non-programmed pauses that occurs from time to time. The program simply pauses execution indefinitely (does not freeze!) and then resumes proceeding as it should when user clicks on it (on empty surface - to bring it in focus not to cause any other programmed event). Since this pause can take all night I am loosing significant amount of time :(.

Both computers (with Labview for programming and the other for execution) are fairly new and capable Dell laptops with Win 7 64 bits (Labview 2011 is 32 bit).

If anyone knows a solution to my problem I would be very thankful if he/she could share.

BR Primoz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,137 Views)

Have you checked the Power Settings in Windows to make sure that the machine isn't "going to sleep" or "hibernating"?  If the power isn't set to "Always On", this can happen.  You also need to make sure the Screen Saver is disabled.  

It appears the algorithm that Windows uses to determine if the machine is in use is "Were any keys pressed?  Was the mouse moved?".  Long data collection or "control" routines can go many hours without signalling "There's a Human Here", causing mysterious problems such as you describe.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,115 Views)

Hi Bob,

thank you for a very fast replay. I have power set to always on and no screen saver enabled. There is image on display at all times so I don't think any kind of hibernation takes place. I would also assume some, if not all, of my hardware connections would be lost after waking up - but the software proceeds like nothing has happened.

BR Primoz

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,108 Views)

Could it be that Windows needs to do other task that it is not able to do unless it pause your application?

Have you made sure not to have any intensive use of the CPU all the time?

All while loops has a wait of some sort?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,088 Views)

Hi dkfire,

I have no intensive use of CPU while measuring (and that should not be a reason anyway), just a VLC displaying web camera. It seems like it is working better if the LabVIEW program is on top (it made it through the last night), but again one cannot seriously  use software with this behaviour?

BR Primoz

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,070 Views)

Hi Pkusar,

Are you sure that it is not due to the program? Do you have the possibility to remote debug the EXE?

Marc

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,060 Views)
Two thoughts. First, what you are describing is not normal behavior. Can you duplicate the effect with simplified code? What external resources are you using? Can you show any of your code?

Second, you are LabVIEW 2011, which I remember had a lot of issues: crashes, corrupted VIs, etc. If you can upgrade that might help.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,052 Views)

Hi Marc and Mike,

thank you for your posts. I was hoping there was an easy soultion to my problem, but I do not really have time for extensive debugging and LabVIEW upgrade is a managment decission not mine. I will install the whole Labview to both computers and than hope for the best.

BR Primoz

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,024 Views)