LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2010 icon editor extremely slow

Solved!
Go to solution

Working on a medium size project in LabVIEW 2010.  Out of the blue the icon editor slows down.  So slow that typing in one text character takes 20 seconds.  After closing the editor there is about 3 to 5 second lag on every action I make in LabVIEW. 

Restarting LabVIEW sets things back to normal until I open the Icon Editor.  Opening any SubVI results in this problem.  And this occurs in any project or even if no project is open and I try to edit icon in an Untitled 1 subVI.

Anyone else seen this behavior.  I really don't want to re-install LabVIEW 2010. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,860 Views)
Define "medium size". Also are you using LVOOP?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,794 Views)

About 300 SubVI's.  LabVIEW is using 280MB of memory and less than 5% cpu.  I can close everything down, reboot the computer, open LabVIEW, open a new VI (no project open) and the minute I try to edit the icon, serious delays.  It takes about 3-5 seconds to type in 1 text character.  If you don't wait for the previous command (character) to complete it takes even longer to get the next command in.  For a SubVI like "Check Mission", I would type "C" wait 3 seconds, "H" wait 3 seconds ...

I could live with that for now, but when I leave the Icon Editor, LabVIEW behaves that way for all commands, saving, moving block diagram items, ect. 

To get back to normal requires closing LabVIEW and re-opening again. 

I was just hoping someone else has seen this behavior and maybe knew a solution.

I will try a re-install when I have the time.

Relec

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,700 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Relec

I haven't seen that behavior, and I really have no idea what the problem could be. As a workaround, we can "disable" the icon editor and force LabVIEW to use the old classic one, which I think will cause the problem to go away. To do this, rename the following file to lv_icon.bak:

[LabVIEW 2010]\resource\plugins\lv_icon.vi

This will completely bypass the icon editor code and go straight to the classic icon editor. You'll lose a lot of the new icon editor functionality, but I'm guessing this will make the slowdown go away.

Message 4 of 9
(3,692 Views)

@Darren wrote:

I haven't seen that behavior, and I really have no idea what the problem could be. As a workaround, we can "disable" the icon editor and force LabVIEW to use the old classic one, which I think will cause the problem to go away. To do this, rename the following file to lv_icon.bak:

This will completely bypass the icon editor code and go straight to the classic icon editor. You'll lose a lot of the new icon editor functionality, but I'm guessing this will make the slowdown go away.

Have someone check the CAR database.... IF MY memory is not corrupt, there was a patch available for the editor in 2010 and a fix in 2011.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,671 Views)

This is an acceptable workaround.  Thanks. I've never used the old Icon editor, but it will do the trick. 

Relec

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,645 Views)

I'd almost suggest using the old icon editor, then edit and save the VI, then try the new icon editor again.  One issue could be with keeping track of all that layer information and one of them having bad data or something.  By using the old icon editor and saving, it might save the icon as the flat image it is, and wipe away all that layer information the new icon editor uses.  

Of course before there was an improved icon editor developers made their own, and I'm curious to know if they still work, and if they would load faster.

https://lavag.org/files/file/100-mark-ballas-icon-editor-v24-lv2010/

https://lavag.org/files/file/91-improved-lv-2009-icon-editor/

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,612 Views)

Hi,

I have a slow icon editor > 60 s to open. it does get better one try out of 20, then back again.

In LabVIEW 2018SP1, the lv_icon.vi is in locked ,ppl, lv_icon.lvlibp. How can I revert to lv_icon.bak?

This is in LabVIEW 64-bit, not sure if that matter.

Thank you , Chris Clark

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,251 Views)

The same trick applies. Close LabVIEW, rename lv_icon.lvlibp to something else, then restart LabVIEW. It will revert to using the classic icon editor.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,242 Views)