LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView locks up when dialog box is closed

Whenever I am testing a project in LabView Application Builder, I currently have a button that when clicked opens up a dialog box. When I close the dialog box, the app becomes unresponsive and nothing within the project works again until I restart the the test run.

Has anyone experienced this, and what might be causing the issue?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,451 Views)

Can you show us a picture of this dialog box?  Is it something you created or something that is a part of LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,418 Views)

@SW_CI wrote:

Whenever I am testing a project in LabView Application Builder, I currently have a button that when clicked opens up a dialog box.

Does this happen once your run the built application or something that happens during the build?

If it is part of your program, I assume (but you don't really say!) it does not happen if you run in development mode.

@SW_CI wrote:

When I close the dialog box, the app becomes unresponsive and nothing within the project works again until I restart the the test run.

Can you explain the definition of "nothing". How exactly do you "restart the test run"? Do you need to close and reopen the project?

@SW_CI wrote:

Has anyone experienced this, and what might be causing the issue?

I suspect a dataflow issue or resource contention, Hard to tell without seeing any code.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,396 Views)

Closing a dialog box, especially one you've made yourself, only closes the front panel. If the VI waits for a button press it'll continue waiting ... forever. Make sure you handle Events as Application Quit and Front panel close, or make sure it's not closable.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,351 Views)

Obviously, everybody understands your question differently, because it is ambiguous and it is not clear what information is relevant or irrelevant.

Please define exactly what you mean by "... testing a project in LabView Application Builder ... ". Application builder is for building, not for testing projects! Typically one tests VIs or built executables. I am not even sure what testing a project means.

Is this one specific scenario where the problem occurs and it does not occur in any other test scenario?

Describe exactly what you are doing and under what conditions the problem occurs and under what condition everything works fine..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,340 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Closing a dialog box, especially one you've made yourself, only closes the front panel. If the VI waits for a button press it'll continue waiting ... forever. Make sure you handle Events as Application Quit and Front panel close, or make sure it's not closable.

Actually, just making sure the VI runs to completion when you dismiss it should be all you need.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 6 of 8
(1,331 Views)

@billko wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

Actually, just making sure the VI runs to completion when you dismiss it should be all you need.

Yes, that's the general way of describing it. 🙂

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,308 Views)

The point was that if closing the panel is allowed ([X] in upper right corner) or a "panel close?" not correctly handled with an event, and the window is closed by pressing [X], the VI can never come to completion if that requires user interaction.

Message 8 of 8
(1,298 Views)