LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView intaller includes unselected items

Hi,

I made an Executable with NI-IMAQ for USB cameras and also built an intaller for it, which from what I understand only needed to include NI-Vision run time, NI-LabView run time, and the NI-IMAQ drivers. After building the installer with these selected items, the installer ends up being over 450 MB in memory. I executed the installer in a target computer and it showed that it was installing about 8 or 9 more items that I did not select during the installer build. Is this normal?

My application is only supposed to record a video to a selected file from the first USB camera found connected to the target computer once the application starts running. It also overlays the time at which the frame was captured.

The installation time comes up to be about 15-20 mins, and 450 MB of HDD, which seems a little bit too much for such a small application, in my opinion. Am I doing something wrong during the installer build?

Thanks,

Erick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,935 Views)
Without seeing your code, I would venture to guess that it is installing the extra items due to dependencies (some of which may not be all that obvious).
-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,927 Views)

Here's the file. I'm relatively new to LabView, so I might be messing some things in my program to make it handle some input cases.

Thanks in advance,

Erick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,898 Views)

Hi Elang,

What else do you see that is being added to the installer?  I did notice that you have a few dependencies listed in your project--could it be these?

Marti C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
NI Medical
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,882 Views)

Hi Marti,

When I run the installer in a computer that has no NI software, the Installer states that the following items will be added or changed:

NI-IMAQ 4.2
Documentation
Microsoft Visual C Support
NI Vision 8.5 Run-Time Engine
LabVIEW 8.6 Real-Time Pharlap Base Support
LabVIEW 8.6 Real-Time Pharlap LabVIEW Support
LabVIEW 8.6 Real-Time MSVS Support
LabVIEW 8.6 Real-Time LabVIEW Support
Video recorder Files (my application)
NI Vision 8.5 Run-Time Engine for .NET Languages
PXI Platform Services 2.4.2 Real-Time Support
NI-VISA 4.5
Run Time Support
Configuration Support
Development Support
NI-VISA 4.5 Real-Time Support
NI-Serial 3.4
NI-Serial 3.3.3 for LabVIEW Real-Time
NI PXI Platform Services 2.4.2
NI-SMC9
NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 7.1.1
NI Measurement & Automation Explorer 4.5.1

Does my application really need all that? or is there something I am doing wrong when building the installer?

Thanks,

Erick

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,879 Views)

Did you select all/any of those when you made the installer?

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,856 Views)

Hi Eric,

Good afternoon and I hope your well today.

The best way to answer this question would be to know what target your deploying to, are you targeting a Real Time PXI? 

And secondly with the current configuration does the exe work? 

And finally, does the target have any software all read installed?

Some links of interest may be,

Requirements for Computer Running an EXE Using NI-IMAQ for USB Functions

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3EB8C8AFC1593B4A8625712E0002869B?OpenDocument

Requirements for Running IMAQ Vision and IMAQ 2.6 (or Earlier) on LabVIEW RT

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A05FE50611A4399D86256B790075C53C?OpenDocument

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,851 Views)

Matt, I did not select but 3 of the items shown in the list above which are the only requirements for IMAQ for USB cameras.

Hillman, for now I was just deploying this application to PCs with Windows XP. The executable does work with the current configuration and there was no NI software already installed in the target computer. I just want to make sure that I am not building the installer improperly. I think my application is very small and somehow it still needs 450MB of memory space and 15-20 minutes to install.

Thanks in advance,

Erick

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,827 Views)

Hi Erick,

Good Morning and I hope your well today.

Please refer to this knowledgebase article, 

Requirements for Computer Running an EXE Using NI-IMAQ for USB Functions

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3EB8C8AFC1593B4A8625712E0002869B?OpenDocument

Are you trying to install your exe onto a PC or PXI system?

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,813 Views)

Hi Eric,

Some of those installers are included to ensure that the executable can run on FPGA targets.  When building the installer, LabVIEW does not know the nature of the target, and so will automatically include these additional files, which is why you see them in your file list.  

Cheers, 

Marti C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
NI Medical
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,798 Views)