LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView 2017 Data Aquisition

I am using LabView 2017 Full Development System and have noticed that the DAQ Assistant Express VI is not present. I've tried looking through the palettes and searching in LabView's help window but to no avail. Has that VI been deleted? Can it be found somewhere else in LabView or is there a link NI can provide so that a compatible version of it can be downloaded? 

I am trying to use the DAQ Express VI in conjunction with the I/O Assistant Express VIs (which are present) to gather information using the hardware Keithley 487 Picoammeter and a SR830 Lock-In Amplifier. Help is much appreciated. Thanks.

FYI: Installed: NI-DAQmx 16.0.1 installed, NI-VISA 17.0.0, and essential all the necessary software / drivers.

I' m also using Windows 7 Professional.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,373 Views)

The I/O Assistant is installed with NI-VISA I believe.  So the fact that you have that assistant installed has no bearing on the DAQ Assistant.

When you installed DAQmx, did you make sure to include the option for Application Development Support that corresponds with your version of Labview?  It's enabled by default (if you have Labview installed) but maybe it was unchecked for some reason.  Or did you install DAQmx before you installed Labview?  Have you tried to reinstall DAQmx?

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,363 Views)

Yes, I've tried reinstalling the DAQmx. I did install LabView first but soon after, NI's update notification appeared via a window and I downloaded the version of DAQmx I currently have. The NI representative I spoke with previously mentioned that the software would over-write the old version or DAQmx.

I do have LabView installed. If for some reason the Application Development Support corresponding to LabView 2017 Full Development System is not installed, does that mean every VI or Express VI may not have installed? If you know, where do I check to see if it is installed? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,349 Views)

@Relevant.info wrote:

If for some reason the Application Development Support corresponding to LabView 2017 Full Development System is not installed, does that mean every VI or Express VI may not have installed? If you know, where do I check to see if it is installed? 

Yes, if Labview 2017 Application Development Support was unchecked during the DAQmx install, you won't see any VI's related to DAQmx inside Labview.  Do you have a DAQmx folder inside Labview\vi.lib folder?

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,334 Views)

You are right. I do not see the DAQmx folder inside Labview\vi.lib. So, does that mean it is on my computer because of the previous installation but LabView cannot find it because it is not in that folder? If that's what it means, how would I go about moving everything that is associated with DAQmx to that location?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,331 Views)

The SR830 lock-in is controlled via GPIB (VISA), DAQ assistant will not help you. Look into downloading the driver for it on the NI site, and download the manual from the thinksrs site. The commands are pretty straightforward for that instrument.

The Keithley Picoammeter is also a stand alone instrument, I do not understand how DAQmx is going to help you. DAQmx is for NI DAQ I/O boards.

mcduff

Message 6 of 14
(3,304 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

The SR830 lock-in is controlled via GPIB (VISA), DAQ assistant will not help you. Look into downloading the driver for it on the NI site, and download the manual from the thinksrs site. The commands are pretty straightforward for that instrument.

The Keithley Picoammeter is also a stand alone instrument, I do not understand how DAQmx is going to help you. DAQmx is for NI DAQ I/O boards.

Good point.  I zeroed in on the DAQmx issue and didn't even pay attention to the actual DAQ boards mentioned.

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,257 Views)

Do not try to move anything into the Labview folder. Do it the right way, otherwise you may experience other problems.  

Your best bet is to try to reinstall DAQmx drivers, making sure that your version of Labview is selected for the Application Development.  As I said, the installer should auto detect  which versions of Labview are installed and enable those options by default but it wouldn't hurt to double check.  If reinstalling DAQmx doesn't work, you may need to do a clean wipe of anything NI related and restart from scratch, starting with Labview first and then the other driver packages (DAQmx, VISA, etc).

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,254 Views)

Make sure you install the correct version of DAQmx.  You said you installed 16.0, but that is only good for up to LabVIEW 16.  You need to install DAQmx 17.0

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53326/en/

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,250 Views)

Thanks for your informative reply. I will look into downloading the driver for the 2017 version of LabView as well as the manual. If you have a link, that would be great too!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,237 Views)