cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW with Raspberry Pi 4

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am looking for a way to combine LabVIEW and Raspberry Pi 4 for a small project at my company. What I need to do is basically to send/receive UDP packets on the Rasp Pi and display it on a touch screen, and I wanted to use LabVIEW for doing this ( caused of the Front Panel + team's tool chain).

I have scanned through the internet for a solution but only found 2 off-the-shelf options with LabVIEW so far: 

1. From TSxperts: they allow to port LabVIEW Front Panel to the Rasp Pi, but sadly does not support Rasp Pi 3 and 4.

2. Using LabVIEW MakerHub LINX add-on: this does not support Front Panel display on the Rasp Pi.

3. LabVIEW for Linux: is not compatible with Rasp Pi (please correct me if I am wrong here)

So I want to ask, if there is any other options/ways to combine LabVIEW and Rasp Pi 4 and at the same time allows displaying the Front Panel on the Rasp Pi?

Thank you.

Loc

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,856 Views)

Several years ago there was a LabVIEW beta that had full front panel support on a Raspberry PI, but that never materialized.

All we have is LINX and as you see it's not really "LabVIEW running on a Raspberry Pi" as you have no Front Panels.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,794 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Several years ago there was a LabVIEW beta that had full front panel support on a Raspberry PI, but that never materialized.

All we have is LINX and as you see it's not really "LabVIEW running on a Raspberry Pi" as you have no Front Panels.

Well, you actually deploy code and run it, so technically it is LabVIEW running on RPI, but with no support for front panel interaction.  But you can interact with a real front panel consisting of physical components like real switches and displays.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,778 Views)
Solution
Accepted by loc.nguyen

Just for completeness there is another option you probably should avoid, and that is running Windows 10 made for ARM which can run native x86 applications.  In theory you can run the full LabVIEW IDE on the Pi4, make normal Windows EXE and be good to go.  In practice not all CPU functions are implemented, and you need to use an older version of LabVIEW, among other issues.

Now as for a bit more of a productive answer.  There are several ways to make a LabVIEW VI publish to a web page.  In theory you can use LINX to deploy some code, which runs, and updates a web page.  You can then have a web server running on the Pi, and that would allow any device on the network to view your custom page.  If you get this working you can load up a web browser on the Pi, navigate to its localhost, and view the same page.  I haven't updated in a long time, and there are bugs, but I previously was using Front Panel Publisher to do this on Windows, and it is possible the functions will work on the Pi through LINX but I never tested it.

Message 4 of 11
(3,773 Views)

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the information.

@Hooovahh: Please correct me if i'm misunderstood you, but what you suggested is:

1. Build a labview VI and publish it to a web page.

2. Make a web server on the Pi and put the webpage in there.

3. Use the web browser on the Pi to access this web page locally through localhost.

I would say this will not need an internet connection to work, and the server + accessing the webpage can work completely local, right? If so then this is actually a great idea!

Bests,

Loc 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,744 Views)
Solution
Accepted by loc.nguyen

There is a blog series from MediaMongrels called MAKE-ing with LabVIEW & Raspberry Pi and in Part 4 – User Interfaces with LabVIEW NXG WebVIs they describe a similar workflow where the web application that runs in the browser is developed with LabVIEW NXG Web Module and the software on the Raspberry PI is written in LabVIEW. It also shows opening the WebVI in a browser running on the Raspberry Pi.

The MediaMongrels blog uses WebSockets for low-latency two-way communication and a similar blog from VI Technologies called LabVIEW on a Raspberry Pi and a LabVIEW NXG web dashboard uses HTTP instead.

Milan
Message 6 of 11
(3,730 Views)

Just so the OP knows, NXG is being discontinued, so I wouldn't do any new development with it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,698 Views)

LabVIEW NXG Web Module development will continue! It is becoming a standalone product (trying to decide the name right now 😀). So you will continue to be able to develop WebVIs as modern web interfaces for LabVIEW applications.

You can see the current WebVI development roadmap here: Future of the LabVIEW NXG Web Module

You can also see more details about NXG and technologies that will continue from the NXG platform here: Our Commitment to LabVIEW as we Expand our Software Portfolio

Milan
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,675 Views)

Well dang that's exciting news then. I'd LOVE to have something that works with native LV.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,662 Views)

Yep! The future web module development environment (name TBD) will be a subset of the NXG environment catering to just the WebVI use case. So you can continue to have a similar interoperability story like today by developing web applications in the web module development environment and using those built applications with LabVIEW as-is shown in WebVI examples like Call LabVIEW Web Service and the previously mentioned blogs.

Milan
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,656 Views)