LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW webcam

Hi Pete, and all,

I have downloaded your toolset for usb waebcam. So far, I got an image with the Creative webcam I use. But we have goofy colors. Instead of trying to get into your code and maybe find out where the issue is (I am not a PC wizard ...), could you please tell me which webcam you used ? Elsewhere, how comes it is not working ?

I think it will be quicker buying the proper one.

I have tried with a labtec webcam and it is not working at all.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,927 Views)
This thread is 5 years old so I doubt you will get a response from Pete.

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~parente/index.shtml#About

This link still works.  You may find your answer there, or at least get contact info for Pete.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(1,912 Views)
Hey Mario,

Are you referring to the NI-IMAQ for USB Cameras driver when you say you downloaded the toolset for usb webcam, or are you referring to Pete's tool? If you have not tried the NI-IMAQ for USB Cameras driver software yet, you can download it and install it to see if you can get the images you are looking for.

Also, what do you mean when you say you are getting "goofy colors"? I have used a Creative "Live! Cam Video IM #2" camera in LabVIEW with the NI-IMAQ for USB Cameras, and I am able to get good images. Another thing you should consider is the lighting that you are using. If your lighting is bad, this can give you goofy colors or just dark images.

Last, I am not sure how the toolset that you are using works, but the NI-IMAQ for USB Cameras basically calls into the DirectShow DLL to communicate with the camera. So if you choose to use the NI-IMAQ for USB Cameras driver software, then you need to make sure whatever web camera you choose will be DirectShow compliant. Such as the labtec webcam you mentioned, it might not be DirectShow compliant, so that could be why it doesn't work. If you want to use a USB camera that is not DirectShow compliant, then you can just call into the Camera's DLL and call its functions to return the image data (most likely it will return it as a 2-D array of data). Then if you are using LabVIEW, you can use the NI-Vision (NI Vision Development Module) functions to convert the 2-D array of pixel data into an IMAQ Image to easily view it in LabVIEW.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thanks, and have a great day. 

Regards,
DJ L.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,895 Views)