cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW version and SQL version compatibility

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all

I need information regarding compatibility of LabVIEW versions above 2013 and mssql server database versions. 

Pls help me out.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,412 Views)

What’s the problem? The Database Connectivity Toolkit is an interface using the Microsoft database API which is generic for any database which comes with according drivers

That does not mean that you can use the same SQL syntax for every database out there and even the use of the API for more advanced things like parametrized queries and updates or stored procedure execution is not always the same between different DBs and sometimes even different versions of the same DB, but it has been very possible nevertheless.

There is no inherent problem with any LabVIEW version I know of and i have used SQL Server and other database servers with LabVIEW since version 5 of LabVIEW. But it is programming! If you expect point and click experience like in Power BI or Excel Power Query you need to reconsider your programming ambitions! 😀

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 5
(1,380 Views)

R/Sir/Madam

I was using Labview 2013, where I have programmed LV for SQL 2008 R2 DB. Now the customer is using SQL 2019, so that I want to know whether I need to upgrade Labview too?

Or I want to know comaptible version of Labview for SQL 2019.

(Though I am using .udl file to connect LV 2013 & SQL 2008 ) 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,352 Views)

Well there is no inherent incompatibility I'm aware off. But depending what SQL features you used and how, there is always the chance that you did something in the past that is strictly speaking not SQL Server compatible but for some reason worked anyways. So upgrading the server may require you to rebuild your application and make little changes to it! That is never possible to exclude. I haven't really had such problems but I tend to program defensively, which comes with the experience. Your programming style may be different or may have been different back then, so there is no guarantee of any kind. And even I would never give a customer any guarantee that he can change things in the system without anticipating the possibility that something could break. I can't test a program with an OS or server application that is only released 5 years into the future.

If you change something, even as simple as a different OS version, there is the chance that something unforeseeable breaks. If your customer is not willing to foot the bill for such debugging fixes, he must not change the system. As simple as that! Strictly speaking LabVIEW 2013 is not compatible to Windows 10 (was released before Windows 10 came out) and SQL Server 2019 not compatible to anything but Windows 10 1507 or higher or Windows 2016 Server or higher so you are operating one or the other in an unsupported configuration. LabVIEW 2013 will likely work on Windows 10, SQL Server 2019 will almost certainly not even install on any earlier Windows version. But the fact that LabVIEW 2013 applications will run on Windows 10 is nowhere guaranteed and NI couldn't guarantee it even if they wanted to, as they only release critical security fixes for earlier versions once a new LabVIEW version has been released.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 5
(1,345 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author vaibhavsl

R/All

I tried to connect LV 2013 exe with SQL 2019 DB and it is working well. There is no modification in program or SQL query or SQL is required.

The issue has been resolved.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,280 Views)