LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW sending text message/phone call

Can LabVIEW be programmed to send a text message and/or make a phonecall?  Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,219 Views)

I'm not sure about phone calls but texts are pretty easy.

You can use the send SMTP to send the text as an email.

Most carriers have an email address associated with the phone number you can use.

For example, Verizon has:

##########@vtext.com

which, upon receiving an email, will forward a text to your phone.

See this for help sending an email using SMTP

Cory K
Message 2 of 12
(5,215 Views)

Hi Katie419,

Regarding sending text messages (or SMS), Cory K indicated an excellent way to achieve text messaging.  Sending an email to the carrier to send a text message is an option that is not commonly known.  For the email addresses associated with each carrier, I suggest searching for the phrase "text message through email".  The example code that he pointed to you will be a good starting point for how to send an email through gmail. 

Regarding a phone call, can you provide more information on what type of hardware you are working with?  Are you trying to make a phone call through an analog phone, voice over ip, through a modem, through a cell phone, etc?  The better that we can define the problem, the better other forum users can assist with your question.

Regards!

Che T.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,155 Views)

Great, thanks so much!  Solved my problem 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,105 Views)

Great, thanks so much! Solved my problem 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,104 Views)

Any ideas about phone calls trought modem using labview?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,926 Views)

Modems would behave like a serial device.  So look at examples for VISA basic serial write and read.  You use AT commands to tell the modem to go off hook and dial a number.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,915 Views)

Ravens fan,

that´s OK. I can provide even an example of my code opening the line and dialing a number. It´s quite simple.

But the great question is: after the line is open and the numer dialed, how can I use the PC Mic and Speakers to talk with the other side??

My propose is to code some kind of "PC phone"...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,901 Views)

That last time I used a modem for a PC speaker phone application, it was with some software that came with the modem.  It's probaly been abou 8-10 years since I've done that.

There may be some behind the scenes windows method that links the audio in from the mike to the modem.  And I think the modem can be a source for PC sound as well.

I would search the web for modem/PC sound card relationship.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,890 Views)

Is there a method to connect the phone via Bluetooth and do the calling and msging ..... ? Not by connecting a GSM modem .....

With Regards

Sibin K Mathew

Email: sibin.is.here@gmail.com
Mobile No:+1215-406-6545
http://in.linkedin.com/pub/sibin-mathew/48/846/446
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,377 Views)