From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW opens new blank vi when attempting to exit

Solved!
Go to solution

I've had this problem on a few machines intermittantly since we migrated to 2012.  We can close out all of the VIs and get back out to the "welcome" screen.  but upon attempting to exit that screen either by file\exit or the red X it instead opens a new blank vi.  when it starts doing this it continues until labview is aborted by end process tree through task manager. (windows 7) Just end task on the application causes the same behavior as trying file exit.  I have not seen any other reference to this in postings, yet we have it on multiple machines.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(3,801 Views)

Are you sending in the reports????  Does LabVIEW open a warning screen on next launch?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(3,799 Views)

This happened to me too, just like it started it stopped after some time 🙂 I noticed LabView closed itself properly when you used standard file-exit in some opened VI or project browser.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(3,759 Views)

Labview does not throw a warning on next launch.  LabVIEW apparently does not believe it has a problem worth reporting.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(3,734 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dpete

Hi everyone,

We are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it (it is being tracked via CAR 386855). The problem is related to the Getting Started Window, which can get into a state where it incorrectly handles errors and fails to launch. When it fails to launch, it launches a blank VI, which is why you are seeing this behavior. The issue is constrained to the Getting Started Window and will not affect other parts of LabVIEW.

Bublina and Dpete, I am PMing (Personal Messaging) you a version of the Getting Started Window which contains a fix for this problem. Please follow the instructions in that message and see if the problem is fixed for you. Please let me know the results, and if the fix does not work, I will work with you to further troubleshoot the behavior.

Regards,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer

LabVIEW R&D

Certified LabVIEW Developer

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(3,709 Views)

At this point I do not know what triggered the behavior.  It is an intermittent fault in my book.  I spent some time this morning trying to get it to recreate.  I have now installed your fix.  I will run with it for a while and see if it reoccurs.  Without being able to retrigger it at will, I am not sure if we have a fix though.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(3,690 Views)

I am having this problem as well, can you give me the fix?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(3,645 Views)

It has been over a month now with no occurrences.  I am willing to call it a solution now.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(3,585 Views)

I'm using LabVIEW 2012.0.1F1 (32-bit) and I'm seeing this behavior. Did the new version of the GSW not make it into SP1? Is there a workaround?

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(3,531 Views)

Hi crelf,

Unfortunately that fix did not make it into 2012 SP1. I have PMed you the fixed version and the instructions for installing it.

Let me know if you are still having the issue!

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(3,511 Views)