LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW not opening (Starter application has stopped working)

I am unable to start LabVIEW or open any VI / Project.

It seems that my computer installed some updates after quite some time, and one of them has disabled executables apparently. I say apparently because even Matlab and other applications are not opening by double clicking on the icon, but while I am able to run Matlab from the Run command on the Task Manager, even that does not work for LabVIEW.

How can I start LabVIEW. Can somebody suggest a fix, or at least tell me a command that would run the program from the Task Manager?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,166 Views)

The path would be "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\LabVIEW.exe".  That might vary depending on your version of LabVIEW and your OS.

I don't know of a fix as I've never heard of that problem occurring before.  Did your IT dept. force the updates on you?  It sounds like an OS problem and they need to get involved to fix it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(8,161 Views)

Thank you for the quick reply.I tried that already ("D:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\LabVIEW.exe") but it did not help.The program does not start that way.

And I don't have an IT dept behind me.. running my computer myself. I just updated my OS after about a year, trying out IE9. Seems it altered some registry keys and am having problems since. MS seems to be slow in responding to forum queries. Hence, sticking to the "Run" option as of now.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,158 Views)

Your Windows has lost its association for .exe files. Explorer has associations on what Windows should do when double-clicking on files. The same thing exists for .exe files. Well, this association got screwed up. You can search the internet on this issue, as it's come up before. Just search for exe file association fix.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,154 Views)

Thank you sir... But it does not solve the problem still...

Used registry edit.. Got some idea from http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-exe-file-asso-windows-7-vista-incorrectly-associated

Yet, it does not solve the problem as yet... Any other ideas?

Is it not possible to run the VIs I want using the Run command?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,148 Views)

Sir,

On searching a little more, I've found that the problem is due to some problems with the Microsoft C++ Redistributable. All MFCs that use this C++ Redistributable seem to be giving error. This is not a solution, but I hope you can now help me further on what I should do to get back to programming on LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,145 Views)

I would suggest doing a System Restore to a point in time when your system was working, and then install the updates one at a time until you find the one that broke it. This is really a Windows issue, not a LabVIEW issue, so you may find better help on Windows forums.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(8,141 Views)