LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW integrated with Vectrino (ADV)

Dear All,

I want  to get the water velocity data from the Vectrino measuring in the open channel flow of flume. The data  will be generated by using LabVIEW  after connecting the Vectrino to PC.

I am in obstacle of integrating between LabVIEW  and Vectrino. How can we integrate this vectrino (ADV ) with LabView software ? and I  wondered that if this integration is possible ., so  it would be integrated by using cable directly or via coding?

Anyone  helps me , I will be so appropriated .

The Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,513 Views)

Hi Sochheat,

are you talking about this one?

It's datasheet mentions "I/O: RS 232. The software supports most commercially available USB–RS 232 converters."

And it says "User control: Handled via Vectrino Win32® software, ActiveX® function calls, or direct commands."

It even veatures "Analog outputs: 3 channels standard, one for each velocity component."

I guess you have a manual you can read to gain more information about all those options!?

so  it would be integrated by using cable directly or via coding?

Well, to get data from your device into your PC you need a cable. (Your device doesn't support any WiFi according to its datasheet.)

And to process those data you need some "coding".

So the answer is "and"… 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,497 Views)

Dear Sir

In technically ,  I need the water velocity  and pressure data in simultaneously. For the velocity data, I have to use Nortek Vectrino Acoustic Doppler Velocimeter (ADV) by generating those velocity data in LabVIEW . For the pressure data, I have to use the pressure transducers named ( Honeywell 24PC series ) , these pressure transducers are connected to the channel of NI-DAQ (NI USB 6343 series) via Analog Input , when opening the LabVIEW , these data will configured in Voltage signal  , then ( voltage signal data will be converted to pressure data) .

However , for the Vectrino communication with NI-DAQ or LabView , how can we make a integrate it ?. Honestly , I  try to connect the Output signal of three output data axis (X,Y,Z) from the cable of vectrino to NI-DAQ , I still cannot get a physical channel while opening velocity channel in Labview. in addition, I used to connect directly from Vectrino USB cable to USB port of Computer without connecting to  NI-DAQ , i still cannot achieve it. I also try to connect both from  Vectrino Output signal axis ( X,Y,Z )  to NI-DAQ and vectrino USB to Computer port at a same time, but i still cannot get a measurement in velocity channel ( no supported device found) .

I know that USB–RS 232 converters." supporting  from Vectrino to Computer .

My purpose of question for you is that how can we communicate the Vectrino with LabVIEW ? how can we connect it ?

Truly, I am a student and  have no experience  of instrumentation connection or integration instrument with software.

I am so happy and appropriated . your help for me is the bridge for going to next step /

The Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,473 Views)

Hi Sochheat,

I  try to connect the Output signal of three output data axis (X,Y,Z) from the cable of vectrino to NI-DAQ , I still cannot get a physical channel while opening velocity channel in Labview.

Which "NI-DAQ"? Which "velocity channel" do you open (and how)?

What happens when you test the analog inputs of your DAQ device using the test panels in MAX?

I used to connect directly from Vectrino USB cable to USB port of Computer without connecting to  NI-DAQ , i still cannot achieve it.

What is "it"?

Btw. you should never connect any "USB cable" to your "NI-DAQ"…

I also try to connect both from  Vectrino Output signal axis ( X,Y,Z )  to NI-DAQ and vectrino USB to Computer port at a same time, but i still cannot get a measurement in velocity channel ( no supported device found) .

Where do you search for "supported devices"?

Does that "vectrino USB" create a COM port?

Truly, I am a student

Then you are supposed to know how to search for relevant information in manuals and books!

have no experience  of instrumentation connection or integration instrument with software.

Then you should ask someone at your institute with knowledge about this measurement device!

(I would hesitate to hand out expensive measurement equipment to students exhibiting huge lack of knowledge…)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,456 Views)

Dear GerdWHeart

Generally, if I connect the cable of vectrino to computer port , it shows COM4  means that it is a serial port communication between Vectrino and Computer. So I can directly open Vectrino software, in this software, I can make a configuration and start recording velocity data normally. It works !

For the integration , as I recognized on the cable of vectrino, there has 7 output connection channel (X,Y,Z1,Z2,Gnd, Synch-, Synch +)  , I want to connect a velocity in X axis, so I wired the  Output (X,) channel to an Analog Intput channel 0 of NI-DAQ (NI USB 6343 ) , then I open NI MAX , in NI MAX , I choose Acquire signals , then I selected Analog Input, after that I selected Velocity (IEPE) , after selecting it showed ( No physical device supported) .

I try to test  in LabVIEW as the same case, It still showed me ( No physical device supported )

So, did I wire a wrong channel to NI-DAQ?

Can Analog Output of vectrino be wired with NI-DAQ?

( I never connect any USB cable to NI-DAQ , I wrote in the wrong meaning , I am sorry)

Thank you

The Best regards

Sochheat Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,445 Views)

Hi Sochheat,

Generally, if I connect the cable of vectrino to computer port , it shows COM4  means that it is a serial port communication between Vectrino and Computer. So I can directly open Vectrino software, in this software, I can make a configuration and start recording velocity data normally. It works !

So when you know the commands for and the corresponding responses of the device you could communicate on your own (using LabVIEW) by using VISA functions…

there has 7 output connection channel (X,Y,Z1,Z2,Gnd, Synch-, Synch +)  , I want to connect a velocity in X axis, so I wired the  Output (X,) channel to an Analog Intput channel 0 of NI-DAQ (NI USB 6343 ) , then I open NI MAX , in NI MAX , I choose Acquire signals , then I selected Analog Input, after that I selected Velocity (IEPE) , after selecting it showed ( No physical device supported) .

Two notes:

- I guess the device outputs a voltage (per axis). To measure voltages you need to connect two wires, like X and GND.

- Why do you even try "Velocity (IEPE)" mode? All you want to measure is a plain voltage signal! (IEPE has a special meaning and from a quick look at the datasheet of your device I didn't notice any mentioning of that signal mode!)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,437 Views)

Dear GerdW HeartHeart

Yes , I noticed about that , I also selected a voltage channel , it seems work ( a provided fluctuation signal from Vectrino ).

Let me ask you one more, by integrating Vectrino into LabView by using VISA function,

do we just connect a cable of Vectrino to Computer port  ( I mean no need a wiring line from Output signal of Vectrino to Analog I/O of NI-DAQ) ?? .

Your help will be so appreciated all time.

Thank you

the best regards,

Sochheat

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,432 Views)

Hi Sochheat,

by integrating Vectrino into LabView by using VISA function, do we just connect a cable of Vectrino to Computer port  ( I mean no need a wiring line from Output signal of Vectrino to Analog I/O of NI-DAQ) ??

Here I only can advise to read the manual of your device!

When the software coming with your device can show measurement result just by connecting the device via USB then there must be a way to read measurement results over this (virtual) COM port!

As I wrote before: you need to read the manual to learn about the commands for and the responses of your device!

(In case the manual does not provide any help on this topic you need to contact the manufacturer of your device…)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,426 Views)

Hello GerdW HeartHeart

Thank you for a reply and try to find a clue for me /

now I am configuring the Vectrino (ADV) with VISA , unfortunately in the VISA Test panel from the  Measurement and Automation Explorer . it shows a error of VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF001D) The specified attribute is not defined or supported by the referenced resource . how can be solved this problem ?

Thank

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,382 Views)