LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW embedded ARM, serial

Hello,

I have LV embedded for ARM evaluation kit, HW: MCB2300 from KEIL. I have tried few examples installed together with LV (blinky, AI, PWM) and they work fine. But after many hours of trials  I am not able to work with SERIAL example. The PC serial communication application using VISA works fine (I tried connection to different PC running Hyperterminal), so I can be sure cable and COM port on PC are OK.

When I run example on ARM it behave very strange: even while loop doesn't run,"i" doesn't increments. When I press SEND button it remains pressed, and after a while it goes back, but nothing happens even  "i" inside while loop doesn't change, comm port control changes itself from 1 to 0, even there is no write to local variable in the code.  Off course no output is received on PC.

Also with TCP and WebServer I have troubles. Could it be connected with evaluation version of uVISION from KEIL?

Could somebody help? Thanks in advance.

Bilik

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,416 Views)

REFRESHED:

Hello,

I have LV embedded for ARM evaluation kit, HW: MCB2300 from KEIL. I have tried few examples installed together with LV (blinky, AI, PWM) and they work fine. But after many hours of trials  I am not able to work with SERIAL example. The PC serial communication application using VISA works fine (I tried connection to different PC running Hyperterminal), so I can be sure cable and COM port on PC are OK. I have used Tektronix scope also to check signals on COM0 and COM1. 

When I run example on ARM it behaves very strange: even while loop doesn't run,"i" doesn't increments. When I press SEND button it remains pressed, and after few seconds it goes back, but nothing happens even  "i" inside while loop doesn't change, comm port control changes itself from 1 to 0, even there is no write to local variable in the code.  Off course no output is received on PC. Exist any other way how to acces COM port on  MCB2300 than in example? Is there any trick behind?

What I am not sure for 100% is the position of used jumpers, I am not the very first user of the board andit could happen that somebody changed them. All jumpers except RST are on place.

Also with TCP and WebServer I have troubles - I cannot connect. Could it be connected with evaluation version of uVISION from KEIL?

Could somebody help? Thanks in advance.

Bilik

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,402 Views)

Hello Bilik,

Right now I can not tell you the answers to your question, I need to double check our resources and make some tests to find out what could case the problem you are facing. For the new example vi I1m afraid that we only have available what you found but I'll double check that as well. So right now I just wanted to assure you that somebody is working on your problem and I'll try to find out the solution in a short time.

I'll get back to you when I have something useful.

Best regards,

David Varga

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

NIH

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,350 Views)

Hello Bilik,

The correct jumper settings for COM Communication is:

• J9(RST) & J10(ISP) — ON
  • J13(ETM) — OFF
  •  

Try it out and let me know if this helped! If not, we'll move forward!

Best regards,

David Varga

Application Engineer

National Instruments

NIH

0 Kudos
    Message 4 of 9
    (5,323 Views)

Hello Bilik,

I have to apologize, in my previous post I had some mistakes. If you want to use the serial port as you described, than the jumper settings are just the opposite thatI described.

So the correct jumper settings are:

• J9(RST) & J10(ISP) — OFF
    • J13(ETM) — ON

Sorry for the bad information!

Best regards,

David Varga

National Instruments

Application Engineer

NIH

0 Kudos
    Message 5 of 9
    (5,285 Views)

Hello,

To be more precise, this jumper settings mentioned hereinbefore is related just to COM0, because I think you are not able to use COM0 and JTAG in one time. 

Best regards,

Martin

Certified-LabVIEW-Developer_rgb.jpg

0 Kudos
    Message 6 of 9
    (5,262 Views)

Hello,

I am currently working on a project that requires me to communicate with a steering encoder and output the command position to a steering motor in serial format. I have tried everything I can think of to get the MCB2300 serial ports to work, but I have been unsuccessful. The serial port seems to open, but will not write. The program hangs exactly as described above. I tried the jumper settings as described. I do not have any outputs from the steering encoder tying in to the UART0 or 1 pins on the evaluation board. I have tried turning debugging off and removing the JTAG. I have tried the program without the write command, and it works fine. The VI displays update and the loop iterates.

With the program hanging I pause it, and the serial write command is flashing. I opened the serial write command and all it does is interface with a VISA write command. I tried using the VISA commands directly (even though they are not available via the ctrl-space drop menu for an ARM project), and the program failed to compile.

The thing I REALLY don't understand, is that I opened the serial write VI, copied the contents, pasted it into my program, and my program failed to compile. It compiles when everything is nested in the subvi, but fails when inserted directly. Exactly as the original poster (OP) described, the serial comm example VI fails. Buttons stay depressed, no messages are sent.

I had communicated with the steering motor on Monday via my computer's COM port. I had communicated with the encoder through the MCB2300 last week. I put all my hardware together, mounted the sensors, got everything wired the way it's supposed to be, and started writing the code for this project Thursday morning, expecting to spend 30 minutes coding and the rest of the time tuning the steering. I worked for 30 hours straight trying to meet my 5pm Friday deadline, and I never got the code working.

This should be a straightforward process. Take a Gray code input, convert to decimal and write to the serial port. I have no idea why this isn't working, but it's not working on any of the MCB2300's we have here at the lab, and it's not working on 3 laptops, so I'm positive it's not a hardware issue.

0 Kudos
    Message 7 of 9
    (4,402 Views)

Hello saundecp,

could you please send us example code on what you have tried so far please?

regards,

Martin

Certified-LabVIEW-Developer_rgb.jpg

0 Kudos
    Message 8 of 9
    (4,361 Views)

Hey saundecp,

Sorry for the late response! It's been a while since your post, did you manage to make serial communication work? If not, can you please sent us the project so we can take a look of your setup!

Best,

David Varga

NIH

0 Kudos
    Message 9 of 9
    (4,359 Views)