cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW crash when calling project in VM

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I have an entertaining little problem - follow the logic (it's only slightly complicated).  I have a linux box that I run Windows VMs on (7 and 10).  I have a shared folder that contains the LabVIEW question that I want to work on.  I would prefer not to directly place this folder within the VM because it is a Dropbox folder and contains a couple 100 GB of stuff - this means this really starts to hog a lot of space when you scale this up for several VMs.  The problem I am having is that every time I try to open a project from the shared folder, LabVIEW (16 and 14) crash.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(3,141 Views)

Maybe it's something in the relative paths?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(3,128 Views)

Have you tried putting dropbox on pause while you are using the LabVIEW project?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(3,081 Views)

Cirrusio,

Here are some questions to ponder that may provide some more insight into what's going on.

1. What OS were the projects created on?

2. Can you run the LabVIEW projects outside of the VM? This will let us know if there is a problem with the project itself, or just when calling it on the VM.

a. If you can run the projects outside of the VM, can this be done through the Dropbox folder, instead of just locally?

3. Are you accessing any hardware with the projects? NI hardware is not generally supported on VMs (although such VIs may still be runnable), and this might lead to some challenges.

Best,

BrandonN

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(3,056 Views)

It's always in Dropbox, whether it sits directly within the VM or it is in a shared folder (this would be a folder shared between the VM and the host system).  This problem only occurs when it is a shared folder.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(3,051 Views)

BrandonN,

1. Windows always because LabVIEW on Linux is severely handicapped 😮

2. No - these projects use RT and FPGA which are not supported on Linux.  And I run Mint and Ubuntu which are not supported distros.

3. I think you are mistaken about this - I have NEVER had a problem with hardware communication on Virtualbox (don't use others so I can't speak to those).  In fact, given that my computer is Linux based, this is the only way that I run my projects (in a VM).  But, this is besides the point - the point is that I can not open the project when it resides in a shared folder; for some of these, I am not interested in running them, just editing.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(3,044 Views)

it is possible labview and dropbox are competing for dominance of the folder / file.

perhaps try to disable autosync on the dropbox folder before opening the project in labview.

-joe

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(3,031 Views)

Thanks, Joe.  This is not the problem - it has something to do with the fact that the folder is shared.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(3,023 Views)

@cirrusio wrote:

Thanks, Joe.  This is not the problem - it has something to do with the fact that the folder is shared.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Have you tried pausing the syncing and then open LabVIEW?  Pausing the syncing does wonders for when you're sure Dropbox is interfering but you don't know exactly how.  When you're done with LabVIEW, unpause it and everything update.  IMHO this is a dangerous way to operate.  I believe that the safer way to share source code is with something like SVN.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(3,018 Views)

was the shared folder mapped to a drive?  if not, can you give that a try?

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(3,024 Views)