cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW communication with a SmartUPS

Solved!
Go to solution

This is a sort of LabVIEW question...

I have a remote test stand and the software running on the PXI is of course LabVIEW.  This software on the PXI is being controlled via a remote laptop using Shared Variables.  During operation, the test stand cannot just suddenly shut down on us.  I have been shopping for SmartUPS and can't seem to find any that have available API or have serial prompts for UPS status.  I want to be able to send back to the remote laptop that the stand is currently on backup power and that they have 10 mins or whatever (tell them to do something about it).

Does anyone have any suggestions for SmartUPS?  I just got off the phone with APC and they told me the same thing I know and am hearing.  They have software that will shut down your server yada yada  yada.  That's not what I want.  PXI is not a server.  I just want to know if we are on back up power or sure power.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,199 Views)

@DailyDose wrote:

This is a sort of LabVIEW question...

I have a remote test stand and the software running on the PXI is of course LabVIEW.  This software on the PXI is being controlled via a remote laptop using Shared Variables.  During operation, the test stand cannot just suddenly shut down on us.  I have been shopping for SmartUPS and can't seem to find any that have available API or have serial prompts for UPS status.  I want to be able to send back to the remote laptop that the stand is currently on backup power and that they have 10 mins or whatever (tell them to do something about it).

Does anyone have any suggestions for SmartUPS?  I just got off the phone with APC and they told me the same thing I know and am hearing.  They have software that will shut down your server yada yada  yada.  That's not what I want.  PXI is not a server.  I just want to know if we are on back up power or sure power.

I hate to be operating a test station remotely even if I am just down the hall.  Expand on your thinking about the power going down and having a chance to shut down.  How about if you have no idea your UUT has caught fire?  What if you need to hit the emergency stop button?

That being said, maybe you can have a laptop hooked up to the UPS just for monitoring.  Better yet, how about just remoting into that laptop and running stuff locally?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,190 Views)

The PXI is in a van that communicates to a missile about 100 feet from it.  It turns things on and off and reports certain voltages and reads and interprets a serial data stream as well as various other things.

The remote laptops are for the sake of safety.  Obviously, personnel should be nowhere near that.  If the Van were to go down, who's to know this?  Yes, you'll lose communication, but I'm trying to tell the user just what has happened as quickly as possible because we're talking about a live missile.  For all they know, the data has frozen, screen has frozen, laptop has frozen, something other than loss of power has happened.

The remote laptops only control Shared Variables and display shared variables.  The local machine does all the thinking.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,181 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DailyDose

Theas Alpha UPS's have open collector outputs for line and battery status along with serial comunications.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,175 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Theas Alpha UPS's have open collector outputs for line and battery status along with serial comunications.

I've called them and spoke with a technical rep.  Sounds like exactly what I need.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,164 Views)

So... apparently what I got in response isn't as convincing as I thought originally thought.  Can you confirm these devices are capable of being polled in LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,027 Views)

I can not confirm anything, I simply looked at the manual and saw it has options for RS-232 communication and has open collector outputs for line and battery status.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,022 Views)