LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW and TestStand licencing

Solved!
Go to solution

Greetings everyone, I have been doing a lot of reading thru the NI info about the case, but figured someone here might explain this a bit more clearly. Basically, I wish to know what's the licencing requirement for Lv and TS applications, as I understand it, I will require one individual licence for deployment on each machine I wish to run a TS application at, regardless of whether or not I install the Software but run an executable instead.

As for LabVIEW, the way I seem to understand it is, that if a machine without LV that has LV's runtime engine can run my executable, it does not require any particular licence? Anyone can shine some light on the matter?

This all comes from the fact that my current workplace might seek into implementing TestStand and LabVIEW, as our current sequencer is just too basic and rudimentary for the applications we're planning. It's a fairly large place so, what would be licencing requirements? Just runtime engine for anything that runs, and a TS deployement for stations that run it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,803 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daikataro

Warning: NI Licenses are NI's business so do follow up with your NI Rep!

But in a nutshell (since I navigate these waters for a living)

• The LV Run-Time engine is all that is required to run a LabVIEW built application or LabVIEW modules called from TestStand in most cases.  The LV RTE does come with an end user license agreement but, the license is free.  OK OK.. some LsbVIEW toolkits may require additional deployment licenses.  I believe Vision is one of those rare "needs a deployment key that isn't free" Toolkits.  I've never deployed a LV Executable that required a Toolkit deployment that cost- Again, check with your rep.
  • TestStand deployment licenses DO cost per target machine.  There are several options from the cheapest, Base Deployment, to more flexible options like a "Debug Deployment"  Your compay's workflow, risk mitigation, Test System maturity, number of test stations and familliarity with deployment options should help guide the decission process.

Since this is a new path for your company, DO consult with an Alliance Partner with experience evaluating your needs, regulatory environment, Skill level and practices.  (And no, TestStand deployment method evaluation is not a core compentancy of 8-Ball consulting so, don't think I'm marketing myself here)  DO ask you NI Rep and look at the Alliance Partner locater

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 3
(2,782 Views)

That is what I needed to know, thanks a lot for sharing! Hopefully I can sell them on the idea to give TS a try, since I really don't like our current sequencer, and honestly, familiarity breeds confidence, and I would be glad going back to the good, old, reliable LV code modules I am used to.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,738 Views)