LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW and SCADA

Lookout was initially a product that NI bought, rather than developed from scratch. Their graphical environment was BridgeVIEW, which was essentially LabVIEW with DSC. They got rid of BridgeVIEW and made DSC a seperate tool package. It is not that you can't do SCADA with LabVIEW it is, as others have mentioned, going to be a lot of work to build tag engines, alarming, trending, etc. and to do the relatively easily done graphics that the SCADA packages support. It (LabVIEW) does other things that are difficult, if possible at all, in those packages, particularly in the DAQ arena. The fact that people have built SCADA using LabVIEW isn't the essential point, I think, I have also built SCADA in LabVIEW, and written mulit-thousand line DAQ/test systems in C and other languages (before LabVIEW). That something can be done with one tool does not necessarily mean it is the best tool (I've driven nails with the side of a pair of "linesman pliers", but it didn't make it a good hammer!)

P.M.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 31 of 34
(2,098 Views)
I think that last post was stated very well and summarizes the SCADA LabView issue well.

One thing I would like to point out, however, is that some of the simple approaches to alarming in SCADA development often times does not provide enough intelligence in certain situations where alarms "cascade".  When a less-than-experienced operator gets a readout of 20 or more alarms, they begin to become meaningless.  It is for this reason that I have used a state engine approach and LabView for this.

TommyHeld
(Tom Held, The Oakland Group)
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 34
(2,091 Views)

Dear sir, I m also trying to trying to established communication between Labview and PLC over TCP/IP.I face listed problems.

1.How can I create multiple pages for user interface and pages are switch by next,back,jump etc button? (Like we are doing with any SCADA)

2.can I create Tags which can be shown on any page?

3.If power fails and resume can labview automatically establish communication with PLC.

Kindly reply

Regards

Meraj Suleman

Automation Engineer

India

Email-merajsuleman11@gmail.com 

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 34
(968 Views)

Hello,

I am a senior in Electrical Engineering and I need to connect LabVIEW to a ClickPLUS PLC from Automation Direct to provide control of valves and monitoring of pressure transmitters. Through my own research I found that Modbus with the DSC module is a viable solution. However, I have no experience with PLC programming, Modbus, or LabVIEW. I'm wondering if the DSC module will accomplish what I need (configuring LabVIEW as an HMI for the ClickPLUS). Also, do you know of any tutorials or videos about connecting LabVIEW to the ClickPLUS (or just modbus with the ClickPLUS)? 

You obviously have much knowledge and experience in this field, so I figured I'd reach out.

Thank you in advance,

Madeline

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 34
(524 Views)