cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Systems Exec VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Quick question. Is it possible to get LabView using this VI (or any other method) to open up a program on a different computer?  For example, I was able to use the Systems Exec vi to open up the calculator on my computer following this example.  Is it possible to get the calculator to open on another computer?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,768 Views)

Your LabVIEW program could communicate with another LabVIEW program running on the other computer that will do it for you.

What's your use case?

Message 2 of 7
(2,756 Views)

@_natalie_ wrote:

Hello,

Quick question. Is it possible to get LabView using this VI (or any other method) to open up a program on a different computer?  For example, I was able to use the Systems Exec vi to open up the calculator on my computer following this example.  Is it possible to get the calculator to open on another computer?

Thanks.

I hope it's not possible to do it directly.  Smiley Surprised

You could setup some sort of communication between the two computers using LabVIEW (UDP, TCP, etc) and send a message to tell the second computer which program to start. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 3 of 7
(2,748 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Your LabVIEW program could communicate with another LabVIEW program running on the other computer that will do it for you.

What's your use case?

It's for a test we are looking to start, and we are trying to determine how we want to interface with all the various pieces of equipment.  Many of the instruments are power supplies, ovens and DMMs which is no problem.  However, one of the pieces of equipment runs on its own software.  Knowing that I can communicate between two LabVIEW programs on two different computers is very helpful (especially if the one program can send commands to that software).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,745 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author _natalie_

@aputman wrote:

@_natalie_ wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

You could setup some sort of communication between the two computers using LabVIEW (UDP, TCP, etc) and send a message to tell the second computer which program to start. 

Well, I wasn't expected it to be that easy!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,739 Views)

@_natalie_ wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

What's your use case?

It's for a test we are looking to start, and we are trying to determine how we want to interface with all the various pieces of equipment.  Many of the instruments are power supplies, ovens and DMMs which is no problem.  However, one of the pieces of equipment runs on its own software.  Knowing that I can communicate between two LabVIEW programs on two different computers is very helpful (especially if the one program can send commands to that software).

Just suggesting the path of least resistance here.

Rather than make a LabVIEW program to open another program on another computer, you could "Remote Desktop" into the test computer and run everything locally, that is, write your LabVIEW program to execute locally. This assumes you are on a local network, etc.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,706 Views)

@_natalie_ wrote:

@aputman wrote:

@_natalie_ wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

Well, I wasn't expected it to be that easy!

I got to it to run my setting up a TCP communication between the two computers.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Message 7 of 7
(2,628 Views)