From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Shared Variable Engine as Remote OPC Server Issue

I am attempting to remotely connect to a Labview shared variable engine using
it as an OPC server and using the Kepware quick client as my OPC client.  I
have set up all of my variables in the Distributed System Manager, and I can
connect with the quick client on my local computer no problem using the Prog ID
“National Instruments.Variable Engine.1” and I can set up all of my Labview
shared variables as OPC tags. 

The problem is that I cannot connect to the server remotely.  I have set up the
quick client on another machine on my LAN.  I have shut off the firewall on
both computers and both computers can ping each other just fine.  The quick
client simply will not connect to the shared variable engine.  What should I do?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,934 Views)

Are you able to try connecting to the first computer through LabVIEW on the second computer (using an OPC Client I/O Server)? If you are able to test this, I think it would be helpful to make sure the LabVIEW to LabVIEW communication works.

In regards to what is not working right now, what errors are you running into exactly?

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,842 Views)

I think I can try that with the evaluation version of the DSC module so I will test that out and get back.

I use the Kepware quick client on the local machine which is hosting the shared variable engine and it connects just fine and shows all of my tags.  If I try a remote connection, then it says that the quick client cannot find a valid CLSID.  I'll attach a picture to show what I mean.  I have a shared variable engine on my local computer and also on a remote one for testing so that is why there are two in my picture in the client.

In my picture the top server in my client is the local one with the good connection.  The bottom server is my attempted connection to a remote server which does not work. TROY-LAPTOP is the name of the other

This problem seems to be related to DCOM settings in the computer after doing some research.  I have spent a lot of time and I'm not having much luck.  I cannot spend much more time on this so I may just have to come up with another solution.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,839 Views)

I am having the same problem.....

did you solved it...??????

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,911 Views)