LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Remote Monitoring

I have a existing LabVIEW application written in 7.1 that I would like to install at a remote site and monitor/control it remotely.  The application is a control system with slow response time, so communication speed isn't a priority.  The system is fairly complicated with about 100 controls and indicators on the front panel based on a state machine architecture. 

What do you think would be the best approach?  Remote panels (an extra cost w/ v 7.1)?  PC Anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,229 Views)
I have found that a very straightforward way to do this is to load the program on the remote target and then use Remote Desktop Protocol to view the desktop of the remote target and drive the application this way.  Of course if your application requires real-time feedback from the user (If a value breaks a threshold then the world explodes) then this is not the way to go as there is a lag due to the RDP.  Aside from that, it will not slow down the execution of the program and it is free.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,217 Views)

Are you wanting to leave the original application untouched? If so, use VI server to access the controls and indicators from the remote system.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,216 Views)

Thanks for the quick replies.  I'll look into both suggestions. 

Yes, Mike, I would prefer to leave the original application untouched, but it's not necessary.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,207 Views)

The VI Server approach is also the least risky approach in that you can't accidentially break the existing application.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,193 Views)
Mike, I'm researching this further.  Could you clarify what you mean by ."The least risky approach"?  Thanks."The least risky approach sdf
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,099 Views)

Hello,

I have a similar application. How do I implement VI server into my existing program ? Till now , I used the Web publishing tool and ran the web server on one of my desktop and people connect to it when they want to control the application. Whats the difference between this approach and VI server. 

Thanks, 

birapxi

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,096 Views)

Hi Agile,

I can't be certain what Mike means by less risky, but he might be talking about the risk of someone remoting into a computer and being able to modify (break) the VI that you are running, versus remotely monitoring a VI running on another computer (if that is not what you are talking about Mike please correct me).

Your original question was how to best monitor/control a VI remotely in LabVIEW.  I think that the most straight forward way to do this is with Remote Panels.  You can remotely monitor/control with a PC anywhere, but your IT people will have to make that IP publicly visible.

Justin Parker
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,054 Views)

Justin_P wrote:

Your original question was how to best monitor/control a VI remotely in LabVIEW. 

Hi Justin,

Actually my question was: which is the best method to control a VI remotely.  The method of controlling wasn't restricted to using LabVIEW or National Instruments tools.  I just needed the cheapest and easiest way to do it.  Right now I'm leaning towards Remote Desktop protocol.  I've summarized three methods in the attached document: Remote Desktop, VI Server (remote panels), and Web Server.  (Disclaimer: the accuracy of this document has not been verified.  It is just a summary of my understanding so far.) 

Any comments on the document are appreciated. 

BIRA_PXI, this may answer your question about the differences between VI Server & Web Server.

Thanks again for all input.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,044 Views)

Hi Agile,

Thats a really good compilation of all the different methods. 

Thanks,

birapxi

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,022 Views)