From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Project/VIs/subVIs and open sourcing

Hello,

I have made a project with LabVIEW and now I would like to publish it under a license like MIT to be credited if somebody uses it (and above all to have a warranty disclaimer if something goes wrong). Is it possible to do so or there are limitations to the rights on code made with G language? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,176 Views)

Hi FDN,

@FDN98 wrote:

Is it possible to do so or there are limitations to the rights on code made with G language?

Yes.

No limitation I'm aware of…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,164 Views)

A word of caution: You cannot use LV Student or Community Editions commercially.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,141 Views)

Thank you, so if I used LV Student Edition for the project what license could I use?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,123 Views)

The NI General Purpose Software License Agreement(s) can be found here.

In English, if you search for the word "student", you find Addendum E - Academic License Terms.

It reads:

1. Software under any of the academic license types may not be used for commercial or industrial purposes. Only software licenses subject to the academic research terms may be used for research purposes.
  2. Authorized Applications developed using Software subject to an academic license may not be distributed for commercial purposes and must be distributed with a prohibition against redistribution for commercial purposes.

Based on those, your use seems OK, as long as you include the "prohibition against redistribution for commercial purposes".

But (assuming you really have a Student Edition License, and not one of the other Licenses mentioned there), there is an additional limitation under item 4. that says

• "you may use the Software for [educational purposes], and not for any other purpose."
  • (It spells it out for students and instructors separately)

So, it does *not* list distribution as an allowable use, but it also does not explicitly prohibit it. In my opinion, it would be OK as long as the distribution is within your classroom/personal educational use...but I can't think of a use like that except for a teacher distributing a template/example, or a student submitting their homework.

(Maybe I'm just not creative enough. 😁)

If I were you, I would carefully read the license agreement and decide if your use case is allowed.

EDIT:

To actually answer your question, I don't think you are legally allowed to publish a project from a Student Edition using *any* software license. But I'm not a lawyer, so my answer is purely my personal opinion.

I think only someone at NI would be able to give you an "official" answer.

-joeorbob

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,112 Views)