LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW NXG and the Picture Control

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm really excited for LabVIEW NXG. I've wanted to try porting some code over, but I have several picture controls in my code. It seems like in version 3.0, most obvious functionality has been added, but the picture control still seems to have no analog in NXG for now.

Has NI mentioned supporting the picture control or a comparable feature for NXG in a future version? What other alternatives to the picture control would be available to NXG currently?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,655 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author iannicholson

Hi,

Currently, there is no equivalent to a 2D Picture Control in LabVIEW NXG, and I am unsure as to its development. There is functionality from LabVIEW that is still making its way to NXG, and I would anticipate Picture Controls will be part of that functionality.

Kevin S.
Technical Support Engineering
National Instruments
Message 2 of 6
(2,597 Views)

@Kevin.MN wrote:

Hi,

Currently, there is no equivalent to a 2D Picture Control in LabVIEW NXG, and I am unsure as to its development. There is functionality from LabVIEW that is still making its way to NXG, and I would anticipate Picture Controls will be part of that functionality.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just concerned that the 2D Picture control code is so antiquated that maybe the NXG team will think it has no place in such a modern environment.

On a related note, owner-drawn controls would be a great addition to NXG (if not LabVIEW proper)...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,562 Views)

@iannicholson wrote:
@Kevin.MN wrote:

Currently, there is no equivalent to a 2D Picture Control in LabVIEW NXG, and I am unsure as to its development. 

Which is ironic, as everything NXG draws is vector graphics. If icons, decorations, etc. are vector graphics, how hard can it be to make a vector canvas?

@iannicholson wrote:

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just concerned that the 2D Picture control code is so antiquated that maybe the NXG team will think it has no place in such a modern environment.

How is the picture control antiquated? I'd say it's proven technology, like wires between nodes.

I use the picture control every day, and until it's in NXG, in a control and in graphs, I can't use NXG.

The CG graphs are limited, and so are the standard controls and indicators. The picture control is the only fall back we have to resolve these limits (to some extend). Without a picture control, it will simply stay 'limited'.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,551 Views)

... How is the picture control antiquated? I'd say it's proven technology, like wires between nodes...

I'm not saying it is (that would be up to NI to determine I suppose). It just seems to use some trickery behind the scenes that I wasn't sure if NI wanted to port over to NXG. Just the fact that it doesn't exist in NXG already tells me that there is a holdup in its development (whether that's implementation complexity or hesitation to continue supporting it I don't know).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,535 Views)

@iannicholson wrote:

... How is the picture control antiquated? I'd say it's proven technology, like wires between nodes...

I'm not saying it is (that would be up to NI to determine I suppose).

But you did say you where concerned about it being antiquated Smiley Wink.

Just to make my PoV clear... The picture control (as standalone control and\or as graph overlay) has been the only fall back scenario in many situations in CG. Without it, everything in NXG needs to be much, much better (more flexible) then in CG.

I do feel the picture has been totally neglected for the past 15 years... It could be absolutely great, now it's just the best (and only) thing we've got.

Message 6 of 6
(2,507 Views)