LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW NXG and OPC

Solved!
Go to solution

Does LabVIEW NXG support OPC (open platform communications)?  I have an application where I'd like to use NXG, but need to communicate with a PLC.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,774 Views)
Solution
Accepted by pulidotech

Hi Pulido,

Just had a check on the NXG - LV19 comparison page.

http://www.ni.com/en-gb/shop/labview/compare-labview-nxg-and-labview.html

Unfortunately OPC is not yet supported. 

However if you really want to work with nxg you can look at more rudimental communication. 

Sending the data directly over TCP/IP or to make it easier HTTP.

I've had some good experiences with Codesys and PHP communication through databases. 

These will definitely not be as good as OPC but if you design it well you can substitute the currently implemented code with the future OPC code when it becomes available.

Kind regards,

Natan Biesmans, CLA

Surely not everyone was kungfu fighting.
Message 2 of 5
(3,762 Views)

Thank you for clarifying that.  Follow up question: In my application, I would like to have a host computer talk to my equipment via OPC.  I would also like to be able to create a web VI such that a remote computer/tablet could access that equipment, which is saved on the host computer.  Could I make an executable using LabVIEW 2019 (with OPC) that communicates with my equipment?  Then, there's another executable in LabVIEW NXG that creates the web VI for my remote computer/tablet?

I'm trying to have both OPC and my web VI in as simple a solution as possible.  Any thoughts here would be really helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,732 Views)

Thou asks and thou receives!

Made a small demo to show you.

Please keep in mind to set the VI settings for the server to streaming and to add the Access-Control-Allow-Origin header. 

*This CORS header was the bane on my existence during my web-dev days.

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,

Natan Biesmans, CLA

Surely not everyone was kungfu fighting.
Message 4 of 5
(3,712 Views)

Had to download NXG 3.1 first, and that example looks great.  Thank you for posting it.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,695 Views)