LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW NXG 4.0 Serial Comm Issue

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an issue I've been losing my mind over for a few weeks.

We have an Atmospheric Chamber (ESPEC) for which we've made a VI using Labview 64 bit 2019. And it works well enough, but I'm trying to migrate it to NXG and that's when it stop working.

I've been sniffing on the serial port with a oscilloscope, decoding the ascii I'm sending. Sometime it will send an incomplete string and other time it won't send anything at all. The VISA port selection box in NXG also doesn't refresh.

I made sure the RS-232 specs were identical everywhere. I also made sure the com port was free before I made the tests.

I'm not that knowledgeable in serial comm or labview so I'm not sure if the problem comes from NXG or myself. I've included the codes, both the version that works and the one I built.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(824 Views)

Is there a huge reason for switching to NXG?  This is an EOL product.  The last version will be 5.1, which is out now.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(796 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Imatapir

By any chance are you using a USB to serial adapter, or a secondary add-on card instead of the built-on serial ports on your PC motherboard?  If so, what brand?  Some of them, especially ones containing Prolific chips, are incredibly unreliable.  It could be that NXG vs regular LabVIEW has a small difference in how it talks to the adapter that's enough to make a borderline adapter fail.

But just in general, I too am wondering why you are migrating to NXG, since it will get basically no support in the future.  If LabVIEW 2019 works now... stay with it if you can.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(782 Views)

I'm using a laptop with a serial to USB Tripp-Lite U209-000-R which I just read, does contain a prolific chipset.

But no, there is indeed very little reasons to change to NXG other than I find it nicer to use when building a VI.

I thought it was going to be the other "vanilla" version that would eventually cease to be supported and I wanted to be up to date on both version.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(755 Views)