LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Crashes When Viewing I/O Items in OPC Server

I am trying to transfer data from a PC running LabVIEW 2010 SP1 to another on the same network runnng Matlab, via Shared Variables and an NIOPC Server.  I have successfully done this with my laptop as the LabVIEW PC but when I try on another PC LabVIEW crashes when I right-click on the server name to View I/O Items or Create Bound Variables.  This has happened on a further PC.  The attached Zip file contains all files and folders associated with  this project.  The fact that it works on one PC makes me suspect the programme is not at fault.  Any helpful suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,056 Views)

Dear Morris_Minor,

Thank you for your question,

My first thought is that it could be a licencing issue,  which licencing scheme are you on for the NI OPC Server? IE:1 Simultaneous Driver Usage or Unlimited Simultaneous Driver Usage.

Are all of the computers using the same value of LabVIEW and the OPC Server? - To find this out you can go to MAX and look under system software.

Best regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,989 Views)

I will have to check our licencing arrangement with NI.  We have a University Campus-Wide licence for LabVIEW but I have just noticed the OPC licence is "for evaluation" but never expires.  The setups are the same on all 3 PCs I have tried (1 works, 2 don't).  I try to keep a common platform for the PCs in our Lab.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,983 Views)

If your licence is set for an evaluation, then it could be that the OPC server licence is set for the first computer you tried and the evaluation does not let you have multiple targets. I suggest activating the licence on all targets using your university serial number.

Once you have done this we can look deeper into why this problem is occurring.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,977 Views)

I have tried activating OPC using the University Serial Number but it was rejected as invalid.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,971 Views)

Dear Morris_Minor,

If you are having trouble activating your NI software, I recommend that you call your local National Instruments branch. For the UK the number is 01635 523 545. They will be able to talk through your activation on the phone.

Best regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,954 Views)