LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Community Edition

I can talk most companies into spending the money for a licence for LabVIEW, but getting design/software Engineers more interested in playing around with it at home will be much easier if there is a free version.

Message 41 of 68
(2,246 Views)

Ahhh.... got it now. Kind of... 🙂

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 68
(2,207 Views)

This is a good news for Labview enthusiastics. They do not need to invest during system development. 👍👍

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 68
(1,997 Views)

@BRai wrote:

This is a good news for Labview enthusiastics. They do not need to invest during system development. 👍👍

No.  They do not need to invest to "play" with it at home.  Anything for work needs the purchased license.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 44 of 68
(1,971 Views)

"I really hope that community versions of the Linux and Mac editions are made available as well. A lot of companies I have worked at recently used Linux PCs for software development and testing, a lot of products are Linux based, plus Macs in the office. I myself like to use LabVIEW, but I keep getting asked to write test scripts in Python."

Roger that. In my experience the frustration with Windows continues to grow in the workplace, at least in engineering and test. Where  work now, switching to Linux gets mentioned a lot, but the migration of LabVIEW from Win -> Lin looks exceedingly painful when it comes to hardware support, especially for NI Hardware. We have about a 70/30 ratio of standalone to PC-based instruments.  We're writing test scripts in python now for a couple new devices with Linux OS's on them. If we find it gets easy enough to do this regularly, that last 30% may eventually lose to standalone instruments and there'd be no need for LabVIEW anymore. That would be a pity. I like LabVIEW a lot.

"I don't know" is a valid and respectable answer.
Message 45 of 68
(1,924 Views)

I generally use my own Test Executive and write my own drivers. For the last couple of years I have tried to only use test instruments with Ethernet interfaces. I have therefore found it easy to port all of my test solutions to Linux instead of Windows.

I generally use Mac at home and Linux at work. I am however worried that NI may at some point drop both Linux and Mac support, especially with TestStand and NXG never being available for anything but Windows.

If the community edition is available only in the Windows version then I guess that NI will be dropping Mac and Linux support at some point.

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 68
(1,856 Views)

Hello,

LabVIEW 2019 SP1 was released this week.

Any news about Community Edition?

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 68
(1,607 Views)

@Romain.P wrote:

Hello,

LabVIEW 2019 SP1 was released this week.

Any news about Community Edition?

Last I heard, it is still scheduled to release with LabVIEW 2020 at NI Week.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 68
(1,563 Views)

Thought the beta was supposed to begin with the release of 2019 SP1?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 68
(1,543 Views)

I'm wondering what use the beta will be for the people most likely to benefit from the Community edition though... doesn't the beta program require an active SSP?

In which case, isn't it likely those customers already have an active LabVIEW version (i.e. for commercial use).

Obviously once released the Community edition will be fantastic (I can't wait to use it for some outreach programs we have at work, for example), but I'm not sure the beta will help in that case...

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 68
(1,536 Views)